Re: scanner no longer detected?

On Mon, 2 Aug 2021 at 03:04, Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2021-08-01 7:37 p.m., Tim via users wrote:
> A device with multiple connections ought to be prioritising them in
> some way (and I'd certainly rank wired interfaces above wireless). Then
> trying to use that interface in preference.  Or in some cases, you
> might want to have plugging in the wired interface automatically
> disconnecting the wireless interface.

My desktop has both wifi and ethernet active, with different IP's.  I use it
with a wifi to ethernet bridge for connecting gear that doesn't have wifi
(easier than figuring out how to have a temporary long cable that won't get
tangled up with dogs).

> Your two interfaces should (nay must) have different MACs, likewise
> with numerical IPs.  Any routers and switches should be aiming return
> traffic back at the same interface.

I usually configure dhcp to give the same IP address to both the
ethernet and wifi interfaces.  This lets you disconnect the ethernet and
move around without losing connections.  And makes it easy to find the
device remotely however it's connected.  Many years ago this did
sometimes have issues, but for at least several years this has been
working perfectly.  The ethernet connection has priority, so connections
will use it if it's connected.

My POE switch stopped providing POE to the access points
(except the one in the master bedroom, which lit up a 2AM).
This happened a few weeks past the 3-year warranty period,
corresponding  to the start of the Olympics!   Given that power
went off and came back for one AP, I suspect software rather
than a hardware failure, but the vendor's tech people couldn't
find a way to get the POE back, so the switch was replaced.

I tried providing wifi with a couple old Apple Airport Extremes (AAE, normally
used with wifi off as ethernet bridges).  This worked for a few hours, then
devices were reporting no internet access, and the AAE's had 169.254 addresses.
The replacement POE switch (different maker) worked fine except that TV set-side
boxes wouldn't work.  Fortunately, it was easy to move them to the ISP's router.

All this reminds me of https://www.alfredtong.com/cisco/cisco-switch-causes-duplicate-ip-address-conflict-errors-windows-7/
which once caused headaches for a workshop I was teaching.

--
George N. White III