Re: Maybe offline updates aren't a bad idea

Adding to what Chris suggests.

When ssh fails, always ping the ip address.  If the ping responds then
the kernel is up in some state (during heavy paging/deadlocks ping
generally responds if the kernel is still running and has not
crashed).  If ping does not respond either the network has died
(typically the network does not usually stop responding unless someone
screws up and takes it down--though I do know of at least one network
card crash that I have seen drop the network many times--but it is
easy to diag since it logs the issue) or the kernel has crashed
because of something.

Enabling crash dumps might be a good idea, if the crash does not
collect and/or try to collect and the node boots back up then that is
often a sign of a hardware fault that forced an immediate reset of the
hardware.