Re: F33 Xorg XFCE4 ALSA => F34 Wayland Gnome PipeWire - Issue #1

Kevin,

On 2021-07-08 23:29, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 03:30:41AM +1000, Philip Rhoades via users wrote:
People,

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated Fedora Gnome list so I am posting here
- I have looked around a lot for info before posting.

You could try the desktop list:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

I will repost there if I can't recover some of the lost productivity with ideas suggested here - thanks.

In my traditional XFCE4 environment, on the top task bar I have had direct access to everything I need to get to: workspaces and stacked programs of each app eg: Chrome, FF, Brave, X-Terminals, Kitty Terminals etc. Now in
Gnome, not only do I not have direct access to the workspace I want (I
usually have four - each used for different work), but the task bar is only showing ONE stacked app instead of ALL the apps in the current workspace - how do I customise this task bar to look like my usual work environment? I want to persist with this environment but so far the update / changeover has
resulted in a severe downgrade in my productivity . .

You might consider:

Using alt-tab to switch between windows/applications instead of clicking on a taskbar? If the default alt-tab isn't to your liking (by default it lists all applications and windows in those applications seperately) you
can change it to do every window instead.

Alt-TAB does not work the same way as in XFCE4 - it looks like I could do what I usually do with:

  Alt-TAB Alt-`

but that is a two-step process.

Hit the 'meta' key (the windows key on many keyboards) to go to the
overview and all your apps, workspaces are shown there. You can even hit
meta and type the first part of whatever you are looking for is, and if
it's running, it will take you directly to it (ie, 'fire' return, takes
me to my firefox window. more shortcuts at

Very clumsy . .

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/shell-keyboard-shortcuts.html.en

As mentioned above, I did find that and it helped a little . .

If you have a touchpad you can use gestures to switch to the overview,
between desktops, between apps. See https://forty.gnome.org/ for more
info.

I am on a desktop top and hate having to touch the mouse unnecessarily . .

Finally if that doesn't work, you could look at extensions. There's
likely extensions that do what you like. See
https://extensions.gnome.org I would advise trying to adjust your
workflow to use keyboard or overview thought. That way you avoid
extensions that might break and it actually (IMHO) ends up being easier
in the end.

I will check them out - thanks!

Phil.
--