Re: conflict between mythtv and rtl-sdr

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 09:18:59 -0500
Roger Heflin <rogerheflin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It looks like the prior udev rule put the dvb adapters in video.
> Since their are both video and radio devices maybe "video" should
> really be renamed as "dvb" and/or maybe the rtl package should simply
> add itself to video and not use its own group.

udev uses the video group by default for dvb and other video devices.
Many of these devices also support audio radio. I do not know why
rtl-sdr chose to override this, but it seems problematic.

> It seems like the packagers of the RPM did not really consider that
> dvb includes both video and radio devices.  It is probably almost
> impossible for any udev rule to know which devices are radio and which
> are video to separate the devices.

The RTL-SDR dongle is a DVB (TV) receiver that uses the computer’s CPU
to decode the video.  Other software can decode the data stream in
other ways, thus its application to software-defined radio.  My dongle
claims to support DVB-T, DAB, and FM.  North America uses ATSC for
digital TV, so here it does not matter, but it matters where DVB-T is
the TV broadcast standard.  The OP is having problems using the device
to receive TV.

I think the best workaround is to copy
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/10-rtl-sdr.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d/ and
change the group to video.  It might also work to create an empty
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-rtl-sdr.rules file, but I have not tested it.

File a bug against rtl-sdr since the package interferes with the
intended use of the device.

Maybe also file a bug against rng-tools asking them to remove the
dependency on rtl-sdr.

> I don't have an SDR dongle, I was thinking about getting one, and mine
> would also be on my mythtv machine.   If it is a DVB device I don't
> see any other way except both using a shared group of some name.

It depends on your local TV broadcast standards.

> Since mythtv is using the system default "video" it probably means the
> rtl rpm packagers should either suggest that all use a new group of
> dvb, or just use the already defined "video" group for their package.

Right, I see no reason not to use the well-known video group.

>   On your machine the crude fix would be to change the rtlsdr group to
> have the same GID as video and find + chgrp all files that currently
> have the old gid to the new gid.

Far too ugly, IMHO.

> question about SDR: How well does it work and which one do you have?
> And how well does it work?

I have an older generic dongle, currently about $20 online.  I used it
some with gqrx and had no problems.  I pulled in commercial FM and
2-meter ham.

Jim