Re: DNF not Installing all Updates?

On 28/06/2021 08:11, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 2021-06-27 4:27 p.m., Stephen Morris wrote:
On 28/6/21 04:59, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 2021-06-27 5:34 a.m., Stephen Morris wrote:
On 27/6/21 22:23, Ed Greshko wrote:
I have not had a situation where an update was performed and immediately followed by a need
for another update.  I do my updates with "dnf --refresh update".

The only thing I've seen is when packageKit is telling me there are updates but when dnf
runs it says no updates are available.  I attribute that to packageKit using different mirrors than
dnf.
I hadn't realised Discover was using Packagekit. If it is using different mirrors to dnf and they indicate they have updates over and above what dnf has applied, does that mean dnf will catch up, or are they updates that dnf will never put on because it never sees them?

It's not that they use different mirrors.  The mirror manager provides somewhat randomized mirrors when asked, so at different times, you can end up looking at different mirrors. And it's possible, if you check during the syncing time, that different mirrors have different available updates.
I thought dnf had a list of mirrors and the first time dnf was run it used the first mirror in the list, and kept using that mirror until it got a 404 situation on a package whereby it would go to the next mirror and if the package was obtained from that mirror, it would continue using that mirror for all updates until that produced a 404 situation, in which case it would move to the next mirror and so on.
I've been finding it nothing unusual for Discover monitoring process to tell me there were updates available, even after using dnf to put on all updates it can see, and go and issue a dnf upgrade and have dnf tell me there was nothing to do.

The default repo configuration is to use the mirror manager.  So dnf asks the mirror manager for a list of mirrors and it starts with the first one.  I'm not sure if it completely abandons a certain mirror on the first 404, but it does go to another one for at least that file.  I don't understand why Discover will tell you that there are more updates available.  dnf does cache the current state for a while, so you could try adding "--refresh" to the dnf command to force it to check.  But Packagekit uses the same configuration as dnf and I think it even uses the same underlying libraries.

As I mentioned somewhere, I still have both packageKit and dnfdragora installed.

There are times when the packageKit updates icon appears on my systray telling me a number of updates
are available.

But, when I run "dnf --refresh upgrade" I am told "Nothing to do".

I just try again later in the day.

--
Remind me to ignore comments which aren't germane to the thread.