Re: No Swap Allocation in FSTAB

On 22/6/21 11:06, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 2021-06-21 4:29 p.m., Stephen Morris wrote:
On 20/6/21 02:22, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 19/06/2021 21:44, Stephen Morris wrote:
My system has been upgraded from versions without ZRAM.  That is the reason my system has a defined swap
partition on disk.

I don't see the connection between Video Memory and swap.
As I understand it, because I'm not using a dedicated graphics card the video/graphics memory used by the vm is being sourced from real memory, and I assume as part of the memory allocation being given to the vm, hence would potentially increase the requirement for memory paging.

The system graphics card is irrelevant.  The VM display is virtual anyway, so I expect any memory used by the virtual graphics card comes from system RAM.

VirtualBox has a per-VM setting for its display and video memory. At least that is the case for VirtualBox running as a host on linux.  I seem to recall you're using VirtualBox on HW running Windows?
I am running Virtualbox on a Windows 10 host as I am running on a raid 10 motherboard supplied raid environment and Fedora workstation won't install to raid (it can't see any devices), but having said that though, Windows 10 can't see any devices to install to, but the motherboard bios provides facilities to generate the necessary raid drivers to specify at windows install time, but unfortunately it doesn't generate linux drivers. The possible issue with video memory in virtualbox is the windows version of virtualbox only allows a maximum of 128MB to be allocated, which I think is no where near enough, hence the performance issues. This is also why I'm still using Vmware player, as it allows significantly more video memory allocation, and I was giving it 2GB of video memory, but with that I was getting performance issues (I was allocating 16GB of memory to the vm) and when I dropped the video memory allocation back to the recommended of 768MB performance improved.

You don't mention how much RAM the computer has, but 2GB of video memory for a VM seems extremely excessive.  Even the 768MB seems far beyond anything useful.  There's a reason virtualbox has a max of 128MB.
My system has 32GB of memory. I found that 768MB for the video memory (which is the recommended amount) was the optimal amount of memory for performance as decreasing the memory below that started producing performance issues in F34 as well, so I've left it as that.

regards,
Steve