Millions of temp files in .gnome2/keyrings

Hi folks,

I have a problem with Gnome-Keyrings, my filesystem seems to be flooded by millions of *.keyring.temp-* files in directory .gnome2/keyrings.

I have a home server (CentOS 8) where the files are located. On my workstation (Fedora 33 XFCE Spin) I mount it via autofs and sshfs into the /home-Directory.

I do not have a good understanding of what Gnome Keyrings does, but in my eyes I have a "standard" installation, I can' t remember that I did something that brought it onto my workstation, I expect that Gnome Keyring was already there after the initial installation of the workstation. Because the file system on the workstation is mounted from a server my problem might be caused by any restrictions on the server (i.e. SELinux or whatever), but because it is mounted via sshfs I expect that the server is "innocent" as far as an ssh from the workstation to the server works. For that reason I post to the Fedora mailing list.

I did some investigation that shows, that at probably random points in time each time 64999 temp files are create in .gnome2/keyrings, so after some minutes I have millions of files there. Following my analysis.

Workstation:

The OS version is

  cat /etc/redhat-release
  Fedora release 33 (Thirty Three)

and just for completeness, but probably not important, the XFCE version is

  xfce4-about -V
  xfce4-about 4.14.1 (Xfce 4.14)

SSH from workstation to server works fine

  ssh sysadmin@server3 "ls -d ~/disk1/home_meikel"
  /home/sysadmin/disk1/home_meikel

and the file system is mounted

  LANG="" df -h /home/meikel
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on sysadmin@server3:/home/sysadmin/disk1/home_meikel/ 1007G 747G 210G 79% /home/meikel

After some minutes/hours of working on the workstation the directory .gnome2/keyrings/ seems to be flooded by hundred of thousands of temp files, the directory listing takes about one and a half minute (!!!):

  cd /home/meikel

  time ls -l .gnome2/keyrings/ | wc -l
  247263

  real	1m28,358s
  user	0m4,642s
  sys	0m3,831s

Home-Server (via ssh):

The OS version is

  cat /etc/redhat-release
  CentOS Linux release 8.4.2105

After some time (this example was taken during the same day, some hours later) the situation is the same, meanwhile there are some millions of temp files:

  cd /home/sysadmin/disk1/home_meikel/.gnome2/keyrings/

  time ls -l | wc -l
  2804719

  real	0m49,023s
  user	0m27,330s
  sys	0m22,120s

Further investigation:

To understand what are those millions of files I did a

  ls -l .gnome2/keyrings/ > /tmp/gnome-keyrings-3.txt

and some further manually investigation. Following I give the beginning of /tmp/gnome-keyrings-3.txt where I manually replaced multiple occurrences of the same line by "--> xxx times". There seems to be a pattern where in each point of time it tries for 64999 times to create a temp file:

  total 10438868
-rw-------. 64999 sysadmin sysadmin 1162 Jun 5 20:39 Trousseau_de_clés_par_défaut_9.keyring.temp-1000041255
  -rw-------. 64999 sysadmin sysadmin 1162 Jun  5 20:39 --> 64997 times
-rw-------. 64999 sysadmin sysadmin 1162 Jun 5 20:39 Trousseau_de_clés_par_défaut_9.keyring.temp-1000072888

-rw-------. 64999 sysadmin sysadmin 1162 Jun 5 19:35 Trousseau_de_clés_par_défaut_9.keyring.temp-100000967
  -rw-------. 64999 sysadmin sysadmin 1162 Jun  5 19:35 --> 64997 times
-rw-------. 64999 sysadmin sysadmin 1162 Jun 5 19:35 Trousseau_de_clés_par_défaut_9.keyring.temp-1000037381

-rw-------. 64999 sysadmin sysadmin 1162 Jun 5 19:32 Trousseau_de_clés_par_défaut_9.keyring.temp-1000014039
  -rw-------. 64999 sysadmin sysadmin 1162 Jun  5 19:32 --> 64997 times
-rw-------. 64999 sysadmin sysadmin 1162 Jun 5 19:32 Trousseau_de_clés_par_défaut_9.keyring.temp-1000058050

-rw-------. 64999 sysadmin sysadmin 1162 Jun 5 18:42 Trousseau_de_clés_par_défaut_9.keyring.temp-1000006582
  -rw-------. 64999 sysadmin sysadmin 1162 Jun  5 18:42 --> 64997 times
-rw-------. 64999 sysadmin sysadmin 1162 Jun 5 18:42 Trousseau_de_clés_par_défaut_9.keyring.temp-1000149586

  ... many more ...

The word "Trousseau_de_clés_par_défaut" (it is french) means something like "default keyring". To find a pattern in the timestamps to understand when those temp files are created I ran

  cut -c 42-53 gnome-keyrings-3.txt | sort | uniq
  Jun  2 07:28
  Jun  5 10:52
  May 22 08:12
  May 28 08:35

but due to the "sort" the result is now unsorted (!!!), there is a break in the sorting between June and May. I' m not sure if I really need to sort before uniq-ify the output. As it' s a result of "ls -l" it might already be sorted by timestamp. However I need a further step to sort output by timestamp, so I ran

cut -c 42-53 gnome-keyrings-3.txt | sort | uniq | while read d ; do date +%s -d "${d}" ; done | sort | while read d ; do date -d @${d} ; done
  sam. 22 mai 2021 08:12:00 CEST
  sam. 22 mai 2021 08:21:00 CEST
  sam. 22 mai 2021 13:45:00 CEST
  dim. 23 mai 2021 09:18:00 CEST
  mar. 25 mai 2021 07:44:00 CEST
  mar. 25 mai 2021 07:59:00 CEST
  mar. 25 mai 2021 08:06:00 CEST
  mer. 26 mai 2021 07:43:00 CEST
  jeu. 27 mai 2021 07:45:00 CEST
  jeu. 27 mai 2021 08:22:00 CEST
  ven. 28 mai 2021 08:34:00 CEST
  ven. 28 mai 2021 08:35:00 CEST
  mer. 02 juin 2021 07:28:00 CEST
  mer. 02 juin 2021 07:31:00 CEST
  mer. 02 juin 2021 07:42:00 CEST
  mer. 02 juin 2021 07:47:00 CEST
  mer. 02 juin 2021 07:49:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 10:52:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 10:56:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 10:57:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 11:00:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 11:04:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 11:07:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 11:11:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 11:14:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 11:19:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 11:22:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 11:28:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 11:32:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 11:40:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 11:43:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 11:53:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 11:56:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 12:09:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 12:12:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 12:27:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 12:30:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 12:47:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 12:50:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 13:11:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 13:14:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 13:38:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 13:41:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 14:09:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 14:12:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 14:40:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 14:43:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 15:22:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 15:25:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 16:01:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 16:04:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 16:49:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 16:51:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 17:41:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 17:44:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 18:38:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 18:42:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 19:32:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 19:35:00 CEST
  sam. 05 juin 2021 20:39:00 CEST

So at each of these timestamps the number of 64999 temp files is created in .gnome2/keyrings. I can't see any pattern in those points of time, I don't understand for what reason there need to be created the temp files at theses times and why always 64999 times at the same moment. From time to time I manually delete the files by running (as root)

  find . -name "*.temp-*" -delete

which is not really satisfying. Any ideas what is the reason that these millions of temp files are created? Why do I need Gnome Keyrings? Can I get rid of that software to solve the problem?

Regards,

Meikel