Re: first axfr challenges

On 07/06/2021 02:54, Jack Craig wrote:
/[jackc@ws ~ $ host -t axfr linuxlighthouse.com <http://linuxlighthouse.com> ns22.worldnic.com <http://ns22.worldnic.com>
Trying "linuxlighthouse.com <http://linuxlighthouse.com>"
Using domain server:
Name: ns22.worldnic.com <http://ns22.worldnic.com>
Address: 162.159.27.77#53
Aliases:

Host linuxlighthouse.com <http://linuxlighthouse.com> not found: 4(NOTIMP)
/
/; Transfer failed./
*
*something i dont get, if my registrar provides glue references for primary & secondary domain dns servers,*
*what purpose is served by anything in my host's named.conf (et al) having any reference to my domain if it's not*
*accessible/useful?*
*
*
*i had thought that i should provide the primary server and my hosting service provided secondary, but*
*that leaves only the secondary os i have only 1 responding *

I feel you are making your life more complex/difficult than it need be.  This is especially the case when
your network is comprised of minimal IP addresses and public facing hosts.

It seems you want to have your DNS server as the master (using more specific terms now) while having
your registra's servers be slaves.  This is generally not what people do.  They let the registra deal with having
both master and slaves and don't run a DNS server.  On some occasions they have the registra as the master, plus
slaves, and they run a slave copy locally for internal use.  It is not often that people run a master DNS server with
their registra running slaves.  That is what I think you're attempting to do.

I frankly don't see any value in that.

However, if that is what you're wanting to do then your discussions should be with your registra on how to
configure their side to accommodate your wishes.  My registra allows for this and actually covers the topic in
various articles in the "Knowledge Base".  They also include caveats about this configuration as it renders some
of the services they provide customers unusable by them.

Another reason for consulting your registra is to be certain of their configuration.  An example would be what I
found out with my registra when I wanted to have a slave copy locally.  I assumed that I could do a zone transfer
from any of their public DNS servers.  That was not the case. They have a specific server for customers to use
from which to request the transfers.

--
Remind me to ignore comments which aren't germane to the thread.