Re: network manager spamming logs with repetitive messages

On 2021-06-07 9:19 a.m., Tim via users wrote:
Tim:
Just out of curiosity, is it only applying localhost.localdomain to
your 127.0.0.1 loopback interface (like it should), or is it trying
to apply it to an ethernet or wifi interface (which it shouldn't)?
You didn't answer the above query.

   I can't tell now as I have changed the hostname.

Frank:
Here's the situation this morning. Following a suggestion from John
Quirke

I added a line to /etc/NetManager/NetManager.conf hostname-mode=none.

That has stopped the repeated logging, but now when I click on the
netmanager icon in the tray it tells me the network has been
disconnected. Actually it hasn't been so I don't know what is up with
that.

I also do not understand why the repeated logging started as no
changes were made to anything network-related.
Perhaps you should reboot your router.  Maybe it glitched.

  I did and there was no change

   /snip/

I connect to the internet on a wired connection to my providers
router via DHCP. There is no wireless or other networks involved.
A DHCP server should give you an IP, hopefully (for you) the same one
each time.  And it may also give that interface a hostname.  It may
not, some routers only do a half-hearted job at it.

The https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/513413/452882 link provided
earlier tries to stop your computer listening the DHCP server regarding
a hostname.  Essentially the idea is that you name the computer
yourself, and hope to keep a consistent hostname.  That link then goes
on about them getting the computer to be localhost and
localhost.localdomain, on the non localhost interface which is leading
a networking nightmare.

  On he advice of another user I used hostnamectl to change

the permanent and transient names to the same thing. With

the addition of the hostname-mode=none to networkmanager.conf

the spamming has stopped.

/snip/

Without a fully functional DHCP server, and a co-operating DNS server
(your ISP's won't help, its outside of your DHCP server), you'll have
to manage some of that yourself.  And that's much easier if your
computer always gets given the same IP address.  A simple approach is
to use the hostname command to name your computer, and put its name
into your /etc/hosts file.

e.g. Under the two existing lines, add something like:

192.168.1.23  george

   or, like this:

192.168.1.23  george   george.example.com

The first info is your IP, use *YOUR* actual IP.
The thing next to it (george) is the name you want it known as.
It can be followed by aliases (alternative names it can respond to).

Now your computer will consult its hosts file to find its name, rather
than try to get an answer from a DNS server that isn't going to give it
one.

If your computer is the only thing on your network (after the router),
you could just set a manual address and completely ignore DHCP.  You
can do that through the NetworkManager interface.  Pick an IP that's
not in use, and in the same range as the router.

  That is basically what I did.  There have been several bugs filed

on this problem but so far there has been no action??

These network problems are far above my pay grade!

Thanks very much.