Re: pulseaudio -> pipewire

On 29/05/2021 15:31, George N. White III wrote:
On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 11:00, Steve Underwood <coppice12@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:coppice12@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    > [...]
    When I upgraded from F32 to F33 pulseaudio changed from something
    with a
    few quirks, to something very troublesome. The main issue was I
    had to
    restart pulseaudio several times after logging in before it would
    actually find my audio devices. I found the cure was to switch to
    pipewire. The main long term quirk I had with pulseaudio was that
    sometimes starting an app, particularly chrome, would make the sound
    distort, and pulseaudio had to be restarted to recover from this. I
    haven't seen this problem since changing to pipewire. pipewire
    does seem
    to show up in a "top" report as using a bit more CPU. This might be
    because it is mixing in floating point, or because it just hasn't
    been
    that well optimised so far, but its CPU load is only a few percent.

You don't mention how capable a CPU you have.  There are tradeoffs.
Modern processors often have "spare" CPU cycles that are used to
advantage, e.g., by measures that reduce memory usage, add
features, etc.   Many people have vastly overpowered CPU's for
their workloads, so developers may be tempted to add features that
would not have made sense a few years ago.

With linux, they who develop software chose tradeoffs. Most of them
are unlikely to have access to bottom-end hardware for testing  It is
inevitable that some use cases will suffer collateral damage.  This
might include your issues with pulseaudio on F34. Collateral damage
can occur when drivers are modified to use new capabilities, or when
legacy quirks needed to support older modules are removed when a
new module eliminates a legacy problem.

--
George N. White III

I have no issues with the CPU power that pipewire is taking. Someone else mentioned that it uses more than pulseaudio, and I concur that this is the case. Since its only a few percent of one core, I don't really care.

Steve