Re: pulseaudio -> pipewire

ke, 2021-05-26 kello 10:15 +0200, Frank Elsner via users kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a podcaster and therefore I need a functional audio environment.
> Currently I use pulseaudio on a Fedora 33 system. Works for me.
>
> Will this also work if I upgrade to Fedora 34?
>
> Is there an equivalent to pavucontrol? I need it to adjust
> the level of my external audio interface?
>
> I'm heavy interested in any experience - especially pitfalls - before
> I start the upgrade.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Frank

I'm sure my use of audio is nowhere near as complex as that of someone
who needs to record a podcast, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in
anyway. After moving from F33 to F34, I've found my own audio
experience to be either the same as before in some parts and improved
in some other parts. I use two different laptops, one with bluetooth
headphones and the other with a USB headset. I also use a desktop
computer with headphones connected through a 3.5 mm plug.

The same:
Listening to music, watching videos, and other basic stuff like that
works exactly the same as before. Using Zoom for work and school works
fine, as it did before. I've found no issues when recording game
footage or screencasts with OBS, with or without a microphone. Over
bluetooth, there is still a slight delay before audio output begins
after it has been paused for a time, but this is probably to do with
some kind of power saving feature somewhere rather than pipewire.

Just like before, I sometimes still get a crackling noise in Steam
games, and to fix that I need to add PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=100 %command%
to the launch options for those games to get the crackling to go away.

The improved:
I don't know if this is to do with pipewire, the kernel, or whatever
manages bluetooth, but I've found that my bluetooth headphones work
better than before. Before, they would sometimes either not play audio
at all, or play it very choppily, if the headphones were connected to
more than one device simultaneously; this is no longer an issue. As an
aside, even just connecting the headphones over bluetooth seems to work
much better now.

I've noticed a clear improvement in the audio experience on my desktop
computer. Previously, sometimes the normal audio output would not
become active at all. It's not even that it wouldn't be selected as the
default, but it just wouldn't even show up as an option in the audio
settings. I would also sometimes get this weird problem where the
output was selected correctly, and the meter was moving when audio was
being output, but nothing could be heard through the headphones. I've
experienced none of this so far with F34.

The different:
I have noticed something that may have broken in the switch from
pulseaudio to pipewire: when I went to share my screen in Zoom the
other week, I noticed there was a bit of text in the bottom of the
window that said something about pulseaudio version this-or-that being
required for sharing desktop audio over Zoom. I can't remember ever
seeing this before, but in any case I've never had a need to share
desktop audio over Zoom, so I haven't taken the time to test whether
that works or not.

--
Terveisin / Regards,
Matti Pulkkinen