Re: Gnome 4 F34 Startup Anomaly

On 16/5/21 11:54, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 16/05/2021 08:50, Stephen Morris wrote:
Hi,
    I am running Fedora in a Vmware Player VM. Having upgraded to F34 from F33, which installed Gnome 4, I have found that when I start "Gnome in Xorg" with the VM window maximised to full screen size (3840x2161) that it starts with the Gnome Dash open as if I had clicked on "Activities", which did not happen in F33 and earlier versions of Fedora.     Is this standard functionality in Gnome 4, like the removal of extensions from tweakui into a separate application, that cannot be changed or is there a configuration option to change that behaviour?

"Enjoy" reading.  :-)

https://discourse.gnome.org/t/gnome-40-login-is-to-the-activities-overview-mode-how-do-you-disable-this/5783

Thanks Ed, I read that article, and like what people on this mail list complain about, it morphed into something different to what was actually being asked. The basic thread from the gnome developer answer to the original question that I took from the article, reinforces what I have read on the net about changes in Gnome 40, which is that the developers have implemented what they want and not what users want, and refuse to concede that the way they have done things is not necessarily the best way. Taking the arguments the developer is using, given they are saying that users only go to the desktop because they want to start an application, then if they had thought about what they were doing, they would have started up in the mode that is shown when a user clicks on the "applications" button which would then show all the applications installed, not just the small subset that the user has configured as their favourites, which is what they are doing now. From my perspective, they only way this mode would be useful is if they allow multiple selections and it started all selections in parallel, as for me atm, I log into the desktop to start Thunderbird and Firefox Nightly, which can't be done from the initial display, so I have to go to the activities menu to run my applications anyway, which then means the initial start mode has achieved nothing. From my perspective, what has been done in Gnome 40 is pushing users away from Gnome to Plasma, where that displays the way I want.

regards,
Steve