Re: dns glue or duct tape??

On Fri, 2021-05-14 at 13:14 -0700, Jack Craig wrote:
> With help from this list I recently updated my DNS configuration to
> provide for a primary and secondary DNS server where the primary DNS
> server is my host inside my domain and the secondary server is
> provided by AT&T
>
> I discovered that the secondary server on file with my registrar  was
> wrong so I got the right data  and they claim to have created a glue
> record but I'm still getting that host is not responding
>
> primary dns ws.linuxlighthouse.com
> Secondary server ns2.swbell.net

When it comes to using primary and secondary servers, the primary
server needs to update the secondary when changes happen (it sends
"notifications") and the secondary server needs to accept them.

This should be automatic.  If manual intervention is required, either
something is wrong, or their system is deliberately configured in a way
that manual intervention is always going to be required.  That's not a
good thing for you.

As to which one you ought to use and declare as your primary server, it
should be the real primary one.  And it should be the fastest one with
the ability to handle the workload.

> would some kind soul direct me to a coherent glue (or duct tape)
> record test?

Your "dig" tool can query any DNS server, so pick some servers that
other people will be querying (to see what they will see).

Remember that you've set time-to-live and expiry times, each server
will/can cache results for those time periods, and any changes may
propagate through slowly.  Some systems completely ignore your times,
and do whatever they feel like (huge long cache times, tiny ones,
whatever).

Having a domain answer its own queries (your name server, and the
answer it gives for your domain at the same IP), is a chicken and egg
situation.  If I want the IP for example.com, and example.com is the
name server going to answer that question, how to I connect to it to
find out its IP?  Something outside of that has to set queries going in
the right direction.  In essence, a third party is going to give them
an IP address for your nameserver (most likely, your DNS registrar).

See: https://ns1.com/blog/glue-records-and-dedicated-dns
or:  https://serverfault.com/questions/309622/what-is-a-glue-record

This is yet another reason I don't act as my public DNS server.

> also, given some domain name how do you know which top level domain
> name servers should be the first set that you query to locate your
> domain in question??

How things query DNS systems is generally automatic (other than your
manual testing).  A system asked to find out about linuxlighthouse.com
will find out (or already know) who to first ask about .com top-level
domains.  Then it'll query one of them about who to ask about
linuxlighthouse.com.  Then it'll query that one for the answers.

Think of a family tree, searched in the opposite direction.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.25.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Apr 28 21:49:45 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.