Re: F34 problems

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 2:40 PM Matti Pulkkinen <mkjpul@xxxxxx> wrote:

> to, 2021-04-29 kello 13:54 -0600, Chris Murphy kirjoitti:
> > I guess I'm confused about why US keymapping is needed to enter the
> > LUKS passphrase during boot. The keymappings need to be the same for
> > luksFormat (used by the installer) and luksOpen (used by plymouth
> > during startup). I'm used to see a hint what that keymapping is
> > supposed to be, but I haven't done a non-US English installation
> > recently enough to remember the details :\
>
> In the installer the keymap was definitely the Finnish one. It's only
> during startup where I have the US layout.

Yeah figure 2 and 8
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/f33/install-guide/install/Installing_Using_Anaconda/#sect-installation-gui-welcome
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/f33/install-guide/install/Installing_Using_Anaconda/#sect-installation-gui-keyboard-layout

I expect this selection to apply to the LUKS passphrase, and a hint is
needed (either as a dracut dropin file or as a boot parameter) so that
Plymouth has the correct keymap during startup.

>Plymouth has an indicator
> below the password entry box to show what the layout is (or is supposed
> to be), and in this case it shows FI. I think what's happening is that
> whatever thing is in charge of setting the keymap during early boot is
> failing to do so, and then defaulting to the US keymap. I just don't
> know if that thing would be dracut, or systemd, or what.

If plymouth is showing FI, why do you think it's defaulting to US
keymap? Is the passphrase you used during installation not working? In
that case I would ding plymouth with the bug report at least to just
get started.

Maybe it turns out that it's a dracut bug for not picking up the
proper hint. Or anaconda for not setting the proper hint.

These are the five language/locale related test cases:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_35_Rawhide_20210428.n.1_Summary?rd=Test_Results:Current_Summary#Internationalization_and_Localization

This one applies to your case I think:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Non-English_European_Language_Install

And it sounds like item 5 in expected results is wrong. I'd think
someone would have run into this because QA folks are pretty good
about running all of them at one time or another. And also for final,
coconut did this test. Coconut is a bot :) so it gets done many times.

There may still be a bug, but if so we've got a bug in the testing too.

--
Chris Murphy