Re: wayward wayland.

On 28/04/2021 02:12, home user wrote:
The times at the beginning of both journal files caught my attention too.  After several seconds pondering that, it occurred to me that those times are exactly 6 hours off,  I'm in mountain time, and this place is in daylight savings time.  So something is not handling time zone correction properly.

I don't know if the problems start before or after login.  My "wall clock" does not show seconds, and its minutes don't exactly match the workstation's time display.  So it seems best to leave all lines in the journal file.

Sounds like things are working correctly.

For consistent times in logs your system's hardware clock needs to be set to GMT/UTC.
Then log entry times will almost always be in your local time. There may be exceptions to that, can't
think of it at the moment, but if that is the case the time will have a Z appended to it.

I don't know if this is still the case since I don't dual boot. But I seem to recall that MS windows
would reset the HW clock to the local time.  That is why, unless absolutely necessary, I've only
run Windows in a Virtual Machine for the longest time.

When it comes to "wall clock" it is quite simple.  The best "wall clock" is your mobile phone.
Unless you've changed it, mobile phones default to syncing time with the carrier whose
time is also synced with the world.  And it isn't necessary to have "seconds" accuracy.
Minute is sufficient.  You hit "return" at login when the minute reading on the phone
changes.  That way you know within a second or two when to  start scanning the logs.

--
Remind me to ignore comments which aren't germane to the thread.