Re: systemd-resolved, split dns, & vpn setup

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 3:52 AM Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2021-04-12 at 12:06 -0700, Jack Craig wrote:
> Oh so now I have learned something new.
>
> I thought that because I was a Domain owner, I had to do the
> translation from my public IP to my local DNS name

Just to be clear:

By "your public IP" do mean the IP for your server that the world is
going to view pages on?

yes, 1008.220.1`3.1 yes 108.220.213.121

Or do you mean the public IP that your computer is currently located at
(which will probably change often, if you don't pay for a fixed IP)?

Static IP

And are they one and the same thing?  Are you serving from your own PC?
Is is an external computer serving your files to the public.

Internally my IP is 10.0.0.101

If your website server isn't your own computer on your own network,
there's no need for any public DNS records to have your own network
addresses in them.

Whatever the answers are to the above, you don't have to provide the
DNS records for that on your own equipment.  Any DNS server can provide
answers to DNS queries.  But for the general public to be able to use
your domain name, your records have to discoverable on public DNS
servers.  Normally, when you register a domain and have it hosted,
that's all taken care of for you.  They put the records in their domain
server, and their domain server feeds info upstream to higher up
servers (it's all like a family tree).

You can see that sort of thing with the "dig" tool.  If you do a "dig
example.com" you'll get a collection of responses.  The "answer"
section is the domain name and numerical IP address for it, that you
queried.  The "authority" section will be the authoritative name
servers for those records (the master host for them).  An "additional"
section which can provide info about those authoritative servers.  And
in the last bit will be the "SERVER" that directly answered your query.

Mostly dns seem my DNS seems  right however I'm having a challenge trying to get let's encrypt certification renewed.

So I'm going to back up and take another run at  this...

thanks again gentlemen,...

> in as much as networksolutions.com, my domain registrar provider, has
> already the IP and host name then
>
> I don't need to provide that so let me trim off that external. zone
> I'm assuming that I still need to provide service for the 10.0.0.0
> internal addresses, but that could just be covered by my /etc/hosts
> file right?

Your own internal address resolution is done within your own computer
network.  That can be a hosts file, it can be your own name server.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.21.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 16 18:28:22 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.