Re: invisible application after upgrade.

On 4/11/21 11:07 PM, Tim via users wrote:
On Sun, 2021-04-11 at 20:46 +0000, home user wrote:
Do you mean that all the other software is the same as the newest?
If I do a weekly patch (dnf upgrade), and that patch includes patches
to vim or firefox, and then the next day I boot into one of the older
entries in the grub menu, I should get the newer firefox and vim and
the the older?

When you do an update, almost all software is updated by replacing the
old with the new (whether that's done from a patch that just updates
the bits that needs updating, or a whole package that does everything).

There are a few things, such as the kernel, where an update installs
the new version in addition to the old version.  At boot time, you get
to pick which kernel you'll boot from.  This will also include drivers
built into the kernel.

What doesn't change, though, are user settings.  Any program that
stores its settings in your homespace is unaffected by RPM updates.
Your configurations carry over.  However, some applications change
their configuration format over time, and when the application is run,
it may update its own configuration files.  It's similar with system
configuration modifications you've made that are stored in /etc.

This is why (unlike windows) reinstalling something that isn't working
right rarely makes anything different in Linux.  If the problem was due
to a bad configuration, you're back at square one.  The only time
reinstalling ought to make any difference is when there's something
wrong with one of the installed files (e.g. corruption, or you've
erroneously removed an ancillary file).

Now I understand better.  Thank-you, Ed.