Re: systemd-resolved, split dns, & vpn setup

On Sat, 2021-04-10 at 12:03 -0700, Jack Craig wrote:
> OK time to share  the real problem here ,it  is me. that is to say
> after several decades of computer work I got Parkinson's and that
> forced me to stop working commercially. I didn't want to give up my
> networking  all the way so I keep this home network has a constant
> challenge to keep my brain moving.
>
> sadly Parkinson's symptoms are not limited to muscle jerking around
> it also includes 'Swiss cheese'ing  in my brain so I'm working at a
> disadvantage. still I'm not giving up

Do other techniques help in understanding?  e.g. If you doodle diagrams
with pen and paper as to what bits go where.

Tim:
>> Does your machine really need to resolve outside addresses?  For
>> me, my local DNS just resolves all my domain names to internal IPs,
>> and my domain name is resolved for the rest of the world by other
>> DNS servers (in the usual way).

> Perhaps you could elaborate on this comment above? I need to be able
> to provide a primary DNS server to look up between my external IP and
> my fully qualified domain name but your description here makes it
> sound like I'm doing way too much work I just need to be able to
> correlate external and internal views
>
> Perhaps you could expand on this a little bit because I think this is
> maybe why I'm getting off in the weeds

Does this approach seem a feasible solution for you:

Okay, let's say that I own the domain name "example.com" (it's a real
domain, specifically meant for everyone to make use of in examples,
without messing up real websites, but it's not really mine).  And I
have a website at www.example.com, an email address of tim@xxxxxxxxxxx,
all the usual gubbins.

I'm paying a service provider $20 a month for them to host my website,
handle my mail.  And, for $20 a year, they're the registrar for my
domain name.  There are cheaper services, but this price point provides
reasonable service.

When I register my domain name with them, its details are put into
public DNS servers (the domain name, the IP address, and all the other
administrative details about who owns it, etc).  The website is hosted
by their webserver.  My mail is handled by their mail server.  All of
this is external to me, and completely independent.  I don't need to do
anything on my computers, nor even my ISP.  My hosting service provider
is not the same as my internet service provider.

I could, technically, run all of this on my own computer, but many ISPs
forbid it.  Many will stuff it up through the cockeyed way they run
their networks.  And I'd have to deal with all the daily hack attempts
that are inflicted upon public web services.

I could run it using my ISP to provide the facilities, but some are
crap at it, often overpriced, and if you ever decide you want to change
ISPs, you've got to move all of your things somewhere else.  That
inconvenience is used to tie you down to staying with them.

What I *also* do, just for my own benefit, is run my own webservers,
mailservers, DNS servers, etc., on my own computer.  This allows me to
test things before they go public.  It allows me to learn how the
software works without messing things up on the internet.

Since I own example.com, I create a sub-domain of lan.example.com to
use within my network.  The rest of the world doesn't know about this,
it's not in my public DNS records, I only do it on my local DNS and web
servers.  If I want to test out things to go on my website, first
they're done on lan.example.com.  Then, when I'm happy, I upload the
changes to www.example.com.  I can easily distinguish one from the
other by the different domain names.  But I don't have to do this.  I
could just directly do everything on the external webserver.

Running my own DNS server has other benefits, but they only affect me,
the outside world doesn't make any use of it.  I have internal address
resolution without horsing around with hosts files, Avahi or MDNS.  I
can block unwanted things in websites by forbidding them in my DNS
server.  Again, I don't have to do this.  There's no obligation on
anyone to run their own DNS server if they want a public domain name.