Re: BTRFS settings for media storage

Make sure to get NAS type drives.   The non-Enterprise, Non-Nas drives
usually won't timeout for 2-3 minutes.    The NAS drives typically can
be set 7 seconds or less.  You also want to evaluate setting the
timeout lower.  And watch out for the SMR disks, get CMR ones.  The
SMR's are said to suck with both btrfs and raid.   I have been using
3TB WD Reds, but got burned with the 1.5TB and 3TB seagates.   2 of 3
of my seagates 3TB did not make 3 years.   My newest of my 6 3TB WD's
are >3 years old and the oldest one is >7 and they only have a few bad
blocks.   Maybe the newer seagates are decent, but I got burned on 2
separate generations where a significant number had to be replaced
and/or died under 4 years.  And most of the replacements not last last
more than 3 years.

Given you will lose data when the machine reboots and aborts whatever
is running, often disabling the write cache on the drive is not worth
it unless you have critical data.   Losing a few seconds of the
recordings does not affect watching the shows for the most part.

You might also want to get a 500gb ssd and record directly to that and
move to the long term storage nightly.   Mythtv syncs often and starts
aborting recordings when it gets a few seconds behind.  Basically
anytime one of the drives blip, and once the drives get older that
will happen from time to time and it is just easier to have it on the
non-mirrored ssd.     You could if you were really worried about
leaving it on the ssd for a 24 hours setup a simple find takes to move
any recording file that has not been modified in a few minutes.