Re: Best video card with native drivers?

On 3/7/21 5:57 PM, Alex wrote:
I mentioned earlier on, but probably should have been more clear, that
I'm not really interested in it for gaming. This is my everyday
desktop that I use for a Windows VM and office work. Hmm... are these
games on Linux that people are playing, anyway?

You did say that. You seemed to be surprised about the price, so I was just pointing out that it's a typical price range for a gaming card. And yes, gaming on Linux has greatly increased, particularly since a lot more games are cross-platform now and even more so since Steam supports running a lot of windows games on Linux as well.

How about this card? It says it's on sale, but is it really?
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-5500-xt-gv-r55xtoc-4gd/p/N82E16814932239

This has three DisplayPort connectors - my current monitors do support
displayport, although I'll need new cables.

I have no idea, you'll have to look around and compare prices. And yes, you'll need to order display to hdmi adapters. They should be cheap, don't get tricked by the very expensive ones. (It's really only pin conversions between the different connectors.) Note that the card I pointed out has one regular displayport and two mini displayport connectors, so pick your card before ordering adapters.

I did see one card online at the store I usually buy from.  It's a
Radeon™ Pro WX 2100 for $200CAD that supports up to 3 4K monitors.  This
isn't a recommendation because I haven't done any research or
comparisons, but you might be able to find something.

Looks like about $140 USD on amazon here - but only 2GB RAM? Won't
that affect the maximum resolution?

No. The actual display data for 3 4K monitors is less than 100MB. The rest of the memory is used for buffers and 3D rendering stuff. Even if you don't play games, the 3D rendering hardware is used by compositors like Gnome Shell and video playback.