Re: Ethernet port "bounce" command?

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021, at 6:36 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 2/27/21 4:56 PM, Doug H. wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 27, 2021, at 4:36 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> >> Do you have a network switch of some kind around?  If so, try putting
> >> that in between and see if it makes any difference.  It it does, then
> >> there might be something to try with ethtool.
> >
> > I do. Netgear FS116 Fast Ether switch.
> >
> > This will also help to flesh out what Ed was asking about...
> >
> > While up and working I added the switch in the middle. Worked fine, the connection came right back up once both hosts were plugged in.
> >
> > This also gave me better visibility to the state during boot (the Ed questions). While booting the 10M light was on and this is the light that remained on all the way to the grub menu. I did hold there to make sure it was stable and then set a timer to see how long before the lights go out once I hit <enter> to select the kernel. That was 8 seconds.
> >
> > But then comes the kicker...
> >
> > This time the link came back up (as it used to, working at 100M) and it was working fine by the time Xfce was up I was able to check. So this issue does not seem to effect my setup if passing thru a switch.
>
> So this confirms what I was suspecting.  The 10M you see at first is the
> "default" state of the ethernet card where it's watching for the
> wake-on-lan signal.  Once the kernel boots and initializes the card, the
> card tries to auto-negotiate.  This seems to be failing due to some
> interaction between the pi's network device and this one.
>
> One thing to try if you can is to use a cross-over network cable.
>
> It would have been helpful to see what the output of ethtool is when
> it's working, but when it's not working, try the following:
>
> ethtool -s enp5s0 mdix on
>
> Give it a few seconds, see if it comes on.  If not, then try:
>
> ethtool -s enp5s0 mdix off

I did try this. Those commands do execute without giving an error but it does not then turn on any lights.

I did look thru my old cable box and found a D8CM and a GS8E so tried those. Not help.

Not yet sure of the difference but maybe...
D8CM = Cat6
GS8E = GigaSPEED XL

But some good news, mostly...

While testing on the Pi end I found out that I can get the card to light up (and work) by resetting from the Pi side. Not sure why I had not tried that before.

Once the WiFi is up I can connect to the Pi that way and issue `sudo mii-tool --reset eth0`.

This wakes up lights on the Pi and then quickly does the same on my host.

I will need to write a script to run at boot time that waits for the WiFi to connect and then ssh over to wake up the Ethernet. Silly, but I just want to be able to stop doing the cable pull/push at reboot.

And you did ask for ethtool output while working:

Fedora side:
>s ethtool enp5s0
Settings for enp5s0:
	Supported ports: [ TP	 MII ]
	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
	Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Supported FEC modes: Not reported
	Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
	Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
	Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                                     100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
	Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
	Speed: 100Mb/s
	Duplex: Full
	Auto-negotiation: on
	master-slave cfg: preferred slave
	master-slave status: slave
	Port: MII
	PHYAD: 0
	Transceiver: external
	Supports Wake-on: pumbg
	Wake-on: g
	Link detected: yes

Pi side:
$ s ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
	Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Supported FEC modes: Not reported
	Advertised link modes:  100baseT/Full
	Advertised pause frame use: No
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
	Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                                     100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
	Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
	Speed: 100Mb/s
	Duplex: Full
	Port: MII
	PHYAD: 1