Re: Networking issue in VMs

On 9/2/21 14:28, Adam Mercer wrote:
Hi

I've started having a strange problem the last couple of days with my
VMs, I use both VMWare Workstation and VirtualBox on my Fedora 33
system and recently the network connectivity inside my VMs stopped
working after some point.

I installed an Ubuntu VM, in VMWare. and was using it for several days
without issue and then yesterday I booted up the VM and I could not
access the outside work from within my VM. As far as the VM was
concerned everything seemed fine, it had an IP address in the expected
range there was just no connectivity. I needed to do some work in a
Debian based machine so just quickly stood up a new VM, this time
Debian Buster. As before it worked fine. However this morning I booted
up the VM and encountered the same problem. With this VM I had created
a snapshot shortly after standing it up when i knew it was working, so
I reverted the machine to the snapshot and again I had no connectivity
within the VM.

I then tried VirtualBox, I stood up a Debian Buster VM and booted into
it, it worked fine. At some point later network operations stopped
working like with VMWare.

Any idea what could cause networking to stop working within my VMs?
I'm using Fedora 33 in a Vmware Player VM, and I haven't had any issues with networking failing. I have the Vmware network definition configured as NAT to share the hosts IP address (my Host is Windows 10), do you have you Vmware Workstation configured the same way? With this setup, irrespective of whether my host is using wifi or ethernet Fedora thinks it is using a wired connection. I'm also not migrating the network card into the VM I'm leaving it attached to the host system.

regards,
Steve

Cheers

Adam