Re: Windows 10 + F33 + SSD + RAID

On 30/1/21 09:12, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
Folks,
  I have a new dell laptop.  I tried to install Fedora 33 on it, but it failed to find any disks.  I searched the internet and discovered that if my BIOS has RAID enabled F33 is unable to find any drives.  I disabled RAID and enable AHCI and was then able to install and boot F33.  I then tried to boot Windows 10.  This failed until I entered the bitlock key.  I then went back into the BIOS and re-enabled RAID and verified Windows 10 boots without error, but Fedora 33 no longer does since it can't find any drives.  What if I want RAID enabled?  Is there a solution to this problem?

Paolo
I had a similar issue but for me it was deliberate, I wanted a raid 5 system but couldn't get one so I settled for a motherboard that had raid 10 onboard. This motherboard had all sata ports as raid, so even though I didn't want raid on my SSD drive it was still on a raid controller along with 4 3TB hard disks to give me 6TB of usable disk space. Even though the raid bios allowed the SSD to be configured as legacy Fedora could still not see any drives (and this is not limited to F33, F32 was the same), but neither could windows 10 see any drives. The raid bios on the motherboard provided functionality to put Windows raid drivers on a flash disk to be loaded at windows install time so that windows could see the drives but it did not provide any linux drivers. From what I have read on the net Fedora Desktop cannot see raid drives at install time (it can work with software raid if the legacy drives are configured that way at linux install time) but Fedora Server can see and work with raid drives. The only way I could use Fedora was to install windows 10 on the raid devices and then install Fedora in a VM on the windows host.

regards,
Steve