Re: F32 not booting

On 1/27/21 3:23 PM, George N. White III wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 at 05:17, GianPiero Puccioni <gianpiero.puccioni@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gianpiero.puccioni@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi,

    yesterday my laptop with F32 didn't boot.
    It goes in emergency mode and creates a rdsosreport file

    I usually don't do this but this time when I installed F I let the system create
    the partitions and I think it's LVM with XFS but I'm not sure of the latter and
    I am not familiar with this method.

    Is there something to do to try to recover something about this, like the
    files from /home as of course the USB stick I used for backups went crazy too
    and I could recover only a fraction of it. It doesn't seem that it was the HD
    that want all bad as the Win10 partition still works.

Often a spinning disk will have a small region that goes bad, so nearly all the
data can be recovered using ddrescue or similar tools.   Older spinning disks
have less precise head positioning and become more sensitive to temperature
extremes, so here in Canada, disk errors sometimes disappear if you let a cold
system warm up for a few hours.

Thanks for the answer.
I'll try with ddrescue I suppose on /dev/sda7, I saw that it creates a file with the image how do I use this file? Is there a way to recover the LVM partitions?

You should try to sort out the backups in case ddrescue fails.

Yes, I was able to recover part of an older backup so not everything is lost...

There are disk errors in the journalctl file (the rdsosreport also has journalctl
output).    I would check for a loose cable and use ddrescue to create a
copy of the raw drive on a new drive.   One of the messages is:

I don't think the cable is a problem as the Win partition is OK but I'll see if I can check that (not easy in a laptop).

[..]

Thanks again.

Gip

--
GianPiero Puccioni            |Istituto dei Sistemi Complessi-CNR
gianpiero.puccioni@xxxxxxxxxx |Via Madonna del Piano, 10