Re: How to build rpm Krita from krita.spec ?

Hi,

Cătălin George Feștilă wrote:
> I don't know all tools involved into build rpm actions and
> all outputs errors ...

I've been doing it for a long time and I still learn new
ways for packages to break as well as tools to make life
easier. :)

> Maybe my file krita.spec is wrong.

I think it's missing a number of things, yes.  The one
causing the error you reported earlier is due to the Source0
tag pointing to version 4.4.2, while the Version tag is set
to 4.2.2.  Ideally, the Version tag would be the only place
which sets the version and other tags, like Source0 would
reference that via the %{version} macro.

But read below, as I think you'll be better off starting
from the existing Fedora krita package.

> Why the Fedora team don't have good tutorials and examples
> about how to build rpm files?

Have you read "Creating RPM packages" at:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/creating-rpm-packages/

and the various additional documentation it links to yet?

Package building encompasses a number of skills and it takes
time to learn.  It's hard to have short tutorials on the
subject without skipping a lot of information that is likely
necessary for building various software that isn't already
packaged.

Plus, by the time most people have the hang of it, they're
no longer in a good position to write introductory
docmentation.

It may be worth noting that krita is packaged for Fedora, so
you might be better of starting from the Fedora package and
bumping the version there (or trying to build the f34 branch
which is at 4.4.1 for your current release).

You can view the Fedora packaging sources at:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/krita

If you follow the quick-docs guide from above, you'll have
the fedpkg command, which will allow you to clone those
sources locally via:

    fedpkg clone -a krita

Then you could try to build that for your current Fedora:

    fedpkg --release f33 local

You'll likely need to install some dependencies for that to
work.  And the better way to do that is to use mock, which
installs those dependencies automatically in an isolated
chroot, so you don't affect the host system.  Using mock is
covered in the quick-docs as well.  Once setup, you'd just
replace the 'local' command with 'mockbuild' as in:

    fedpkg --release f33 mockbuild

Then you see where it fails and adjust the spec file as
needed.  It's an iterative process.  But the more you do it,
the easier it becomes.

Hope this helps,

--
Todd