Re: midco DNS corruption?

On Sun, 2021-01-24 at 07:19 -0500, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> With that said, I noticed a lot of ISPs push all-in-one boxes, which
> forces users to rely on the ISP's DNS and other spyware. Of course
> you can put your own router+wifi between the ISP one and your
> network, which most people will not do.

My ISP recently messaged me saying that I'm using an old modem/router
and would I like a new one?  Foolishly I took them up on the offer.

It used a different IP numbering scheme than my LAN, and SSIDs, so
either I had to reconfigure everything on my LAN, or the router.

Normally, it'd be easier to do the router (which is the route I took),
but it wanted to go through lengthy reboot cycles for the smallest of
configuration changes, instead of letting me set a bunch of things in
one go, and has a tediously slow web interface.  So I wasted well over
90 minutes just changing it's IP, switching off its DHCP server,
turning off its media server, UPnP, changing WiFi SSID and passphrases,
setting an admin password.

I would have spent a similar amount of time reconfiguring all the badly
designed so-called smart devices in the house.  With many annoying ones
that can't actually be reconfigured, you have to factory reset and
start over discovering the device, adding it to your network, and
configuring away the stupid default settings they come with.

But after using their new box of tricks for a while I find that it's
WiFi is broken (the 5GHz side of things disappears after a few minutes
and never returns, after a while it wants to make you login to
http://mymodem.modem to be able to continue to use any WiFi - you can't
do that on gadgets that don't have a browser, and it does it so badly
that your browser is stuck in a reload loop, leaving you with
smartphones that can't get their updates any more), and even the
ethernet side of things just kept stalling.

So I went back to my original, many years old WiFi router and all my
networking problems went away.

I'm tempted to chuck it back at them and see if I can get a working
one, but there's plenty of bad reports on their generally poor choice
of hardware, and I've got Buckley's chance of getting past their
telephone robot sentry to speak to an actual person instead of being
told to use their website to debug my problem.  I'm fortunate that I
could use any router device, and I can simply go out and buy a good
router, if I want something better, unlike some people's ISP forcing
them to use a particular supplied device.  And lucky that the ISP's
supplied (but crappy) routers are quite configurable.

Our internet is simply an ethernet port on a NTD (network termination
device, or optical fibre modem) screwed to the wall.  If I only used
one computer, I could plug it in directly.  There's no user
authentication I have to do, their fibre interface is the thing that's
authorised by them.  But in our homes of a gazillion networked devices,
a router is needed.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.11.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 18 16:34:56 UTC 2020 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.