Re: systemd-resolved floods the logs

Michael H. Warfield writes:

> What I do is disable systemd-resolved and fix the resolv.conf file
> to put back the original and get rid of systemd's symlink.

ALSO!  Remove the "resolve [!UNAVAIL=return]" stanza for hosts in
/etc/nsswitch.conf!  That seems to have been part of my problems.

This appears to be the default configuration setting.

There must be something particular to your setup that makes this a problem, otherwise everyone else would be in the same boat. I have systemd-resolved disabled, too, but I have no issues.

So, what in blazes is this thing, I was wondering…

Poking around nsswitch.conf documenation, it seems that <whatever> is translated into loading libnss_whatever, and then crossing your fingers.

Ok, I see that I have /usr/lib64/libnss_resolve.so.2

So what is this?

$ rpm -q -f /usr/lib64/libnss_resolve.so.2
systemd-libs-246.7-2.fc33.x86_64

Are you fracking kidding me?

Now, I don't have a manual page installed, but Google helpfully provided this link:

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/libnss_resolve.so.2.8.html

      nss-resolve, libnss_resolve.so.2 - Hostname resolution via
      systemd-resolved.service

What

the

frak

is

this

frak?

What exactly is the point of shoving systemd down this backdoor, via nsswitch.conf, after you explicitly give it the boot, by disabling it via systemctl? What is that supposed to accomplish?

Now, I have the same exact setup:

hosts:      files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] myhostname dns

Now, putting together all the pieces of the puzzles: this is saying to resolve hostnames via systemd-resolved, but if it's not available continue, and try hostname and dns resolution.

So, in theory, if systemd-resolved is "unavailable" this will be a no-op. My experience seems to suggest that.

But in your case nsswitch.conf thinks, for some reason, that systemd- resolved is still in business, but it fails (because you stopped it), so the crap hits the fan.

So the remaining question would be why nssswitch reaches the erroneous conclusion that you still have systemd-resolved active. Yes, expunging this from your nsswitch.conf would resolve (pun not intended) the issue for you, but you still have something else happening that makes this necessary. This does not seem necessary for me.