Re: mysterious/suspicious internet activity.

On 12/4/20 9:08 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

I've never heard of this.  I'm not sure, but this seems like something I don't use, at least not explicitly.  Is this something that I can remove from the system, or at least turn off (so it won't use CPU), Or is this "under the hood" of things I do use?

If you have no idea about it, you're not using it and probably never will.

So, you can just....

sudo systemctl --now disable libvirtd

Without the "--now" you'd have to reboot for this to take effect.

hmmm... Samuel beat you to it. I'll very soon be shutting down for the night anyway.

You most likely don't need mdns (Multicast DNS) and can delete that service.  You *may* need dhcpv6-client
to properly configure your IPv6 automatically when the system starts.

How do I delete a service (mdns)?

Along with "systemctl --now disable avahi-daemon"  You should also remove that service from the
firewall.

sudo firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=public --remove-service=mdns
sudo firewall-cmd --reload

Samuel beat you on this systemctl command too.
-bash.4[~]: firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=public --remove-service=mdns
success
-bash.5[~]: firewall-cmd --reload
success
-bash.6[~]:

If I understood you and that pdf file correctly, tivoconnect has nothing to do with watching youtube videos or online streaming (such as Viki, Rakuten, or Zoom).  I think I don't use this either.  But tivoconnect sure shows up a lot in both columns.  Is there something I should remove from the system (via dnf), or shut off?

Let me try this again.

These packets are *not* being generated by your system.  They are being "broadcast* by a device on the same subnet as your system is.  So, another customer of Comcast has a TiVo box and it is broadcasting to find other TiVo devices.  All systems on that subnet will get the broadcast packets.

You *can't* stop them from doing this.  All you can do is "ignore" them .... which is what you system is doing
since it is dropping all packets as they arrive.

Actually, I misread my screen captures. (They are not easy to read.) I thought tivoconnect traffic was going both ways, not just incoming. That would imply there was something on my workstation doing the sending. Seeing what you said above, I re-examined the screenshots. I see there is nothing outgoing relating to tivoconnect.

Someone in this thread suggested that outgoing traffic should be examined as well as incoming.  That does make sense to me.  The firewall-cmd commands I did: did those look at both incoming and outgoing, or just incoming?

For a single user system like I think you have, there isn't any value in doing that.  You're more than likely
to unintentionally break things.

ok.

There are few lesser things mentioned by others who posted to this thread. I hope to address those tomorrow.