Re: Read-only flash drives

Ed Greshko writes:

On 27/11/2020 00:31, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 26/11/2020 22:44, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Ed Greshko writes:

On 26/11/2020 16:35, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 11/26/20 12:34 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
FWIW, I have a Ubuntu VM and the same flash drive that I used on Fedora works the same way on it.  The system mounts it for me, as me.  It is ubuntu 20.04 if that makes any difference.

Most of the time, flash drives mount properly for my sister too. Once in a while this comes up for her and/or for me, and I was hoping to get a handle on how to deal with the issue once and for all.

The next time it happens to you check which file system type is on the drive.

FAT and VFAT don't have ownership written to them as Samuel explained.  And, as I said, I've never
encountered issues with them.

It seems what's described here is that, for some odd reason, the flash drives get mounted occasionally as read-only, so this is not an ownership issue.

You don't think someone could mistake not being able to write to the drive because of an ownership/permission
as it being "read-only"?

Remember, in the initial post it was stated.....

"Every now and then I buy a flash drive and find that when I mount it it's owned by root and read only except by root."

Well, this /has/ happened to me occasionally. I have this whole setup going where I have a radio attached to audio-in, a daily cron job that records audio, and converts it to mp3.

I plug in my mp3 player in the evening, and another cron job copies the files to the mp3 player at preset times, expecting it to be automounted.

A few times in the past it failed, I looked and found that, for some reason, the mp3 player was automounted read-only, mount showed the "ro" flag. Unmounting and plugging it back in remounted in normally. Rather odd, but it wasn't enough of a hassle to look into this further.