Re: Digest Version

Hi,

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-11-19 at 06:14 -0600, Mike Flannigan wrote:
>> Does anybody know how to change to digest mode?
>
> No, and I don't know if the list supports it.

It does.  Subscribers can set one of several digest delivery
methods in the "List-based preferences" of the Mailman web
UI (Plain Text, MIME, or Summary),

The MIME Digests option is decent; it allows any mildly
competent email client to reply to individual messages.

> However I would urge you to reconsider. Digest mode is an
> obsolete workaround that dates from when most people got
> their mail by modem using UUCP. It has no advantage these
> days, and indeed often causes problems when someone
> replies to a digest instead of replying to one of its
> component messages, or thinking that they can do this just
> by editing the subject line (which breaks threading).

Agreed.  It is a problem when subscribers of the Plain Text
Digest reply, particularly if they do not even change the
subject.  To stop the latter problem on this list, we use
the "Header filters" option in the list config to prevent
messages matching the digest subject pattern from reaching
the list.  While that doesn't prevent thread breaking, I'd
bet that we see more broken threading here from bad email
clients than users of any of the digest methods. :(

The MIME digests option works reasonably well, though.  For
someone who wants to receive messages in a digest mode,
that's worth trying.  If someone is using a poor email
client where MIME digests don't work, then I can only advise
them to use a better email client. :)

--
Todd