Re: Display Manager Configuration Files

On 4/11/20 10:25 pm, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 04/11/2020 17:24, Stephen Morris wrote:
Hi,
    Which configuration file identifies which display manager is being used, and which configuration file identifies which desktop that dm will launch?     The issue I have is, I have the Fedora Astronomy spin at F32 level. I think it is starting SDDM at boot time and defaulting to start KDE. When I put on the system update two updates ago, the "start menu" refused to display any entries when clicked on. There was a subsequent system update after that, and when I put that on KDE refused to start, so in order to get a running system I eventually got the desktop to set its desktop drop down to Gnome (Wayland), and was able to get Gnome to eventually start. The issue this caused is now the desktop drop down will not show any entries other then Gnome (Wayland) to be able to try and start KDE again.
    I am running F32 in a Windows 10 hosted Virtualbox VM.

To see what Display Manager you're running.....

systemctl status display-manager

What desktops are available to sddm and other display managers are located in

/usr/share/xsessions    and   /usr/share/wayland-sessions

Thanks Ed, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Using systemctl I was able to change the desktop to LightDM, and while doing this found it is not a good idea to use systemctl to stop the current DM before enabling and starting the new DM. I've also used the dnf group install to reinstall the KDE Plasma Workspaces, KDE Applications, KDE multimedia and KDE Office groups to see if that rectifies the KDE issues. I also had desktop icons in KDE for Thunderbird Daily and Firefox Nightly and whatever the updates were that caused the KDE issues also corrupted those two desktop entries so that they would not start the corresponding applications.

regards,
Steve

---
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.