Re: Offtopic - rpm-distros

On 10/30/20 8:32 PM, David wrote:
This is my final post on this offtopic discussion,
so email me privately, please.

Does Fedora have an off-topic list for Fedorans
to talk about anything ?

I fixed the problem that I was having with the rpm-distro,
OpenMandriva.    They apparently only have
two mirrors for the install I was using, and one of those
is possibly dead, and the install defaulted to the dead
one.   It went unnoticed, I think because most of their users
are in France and Italy.     Along the way, their forum members, figured
out my problem, but I ended up finding two articles on their
wiki to help me change the mirror to the correct one.

     $ sudo dnf --refresh install om-mirror-selector
     $ sudo om-mirror-selector.sh -m

So now I have 4 functional operating systems on my
computer on separate drives:   Fedora Rawhide, Fedora 33,
OpenMandriva Alpha, and OpenMandriva Cooker with zen kernel
( znver1 ) built using clang.

Their leader, Bero, said their server was down yesterday, so I guess
that didn't help.     They apparently have a team of at least 10
developers using Element as their chat forum.   They were helpful.
They have one guy doing a mass-rebuild this week.

OpenMandriva uses Calamares installer, defaults to ext4, and
KDE Plasma 5.19 depending on the release you install.

The funny thing is that I still feel like a Linux novice, as there are
hundreds of things that I have no grasp of:    gaming, virtual-machines,
samba, actual practical use of the software, like gnucash, but especially
troubleshooting, and especially with troubleshooting wi-fi, and printer
problems, zero knowledge of perl, rust, python, bash, and only know a few
terminal commands, etc.

Cheers,

David Locklear
I'm no expert, but a some years ago, I took a course in Linux, rather elementary, but it did emphasize that bash is a programming language, and works similarly to many others. (I come from original Basic and Turbo Pascal.)  So if you have any background in programming, get yourself a tutorial on bash and teach yourself. Fortunately, bash does not have any peculiar typographic rules, like Python or
some others, that require certain types of formatting to run.
OTOH, you really don't need to program to use Linux as your OS. You just need
to know the syntax of bash in order to use terminal commands, which you will
need to do from time to time.--doug