Re: Install Fedora -

On 2020-10-21 22:21, Tim via users wrote:
I wouldn't do it (writing an iso over the network from NFS storage,
due to the network possibly messing up the integrity of the iso
image) but you should still be able to with the "dd" command.  Issue
a "mount" command and you should see the mount path of your NFS
storage.  Then, as Bob explained, do "dd if=/path/to/NFS-
storage/image.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=8M status=progress oflag=direct"
You've been misattributing who said what, it was ME who gave Bob a "dd"
example, but...
*
I'm sorry about the missed attribute, I thought it was pretty much implied since it was part of a thread in which several people had contributed similar advice. Beyond that the responses begin to look more bloggy to me, I've noticed some messages just giving acknowledgement, too much for the list I think. If it is important I will change my thinking. But be assured I read and consider what you say and thank you for it!

Yes I did not understand the role media writer plays in the installation, the important thing is that now I can see how to do much of the job with text in a terminal, the reason I wrote the initial query.

Yes, I want "Standard Partitions" as media writer names it, rather than a Fedora 33 LVM system which I find adds a layer of complexity I prefer not to have.

As for chances of NFS contributing errors in this process, it was not a factor since I still had a copy of the .iso file in Downloads and used it. However the NFS server provides data I use routinely as long as this system is running and I have recognized no problems caused by it.

Thank you for your help,    Bob

If you were trying to burn a DVD from an ISO file over NFS, I'd be a
bit hesitant about relying it to supply uninterrupted data to the
burner.  But churning data from an ISO via NFS to other kinds of media,
such as USB flashdrives, oughtn't to be any problem.

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
FEDORA-32/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3