Re: F32 Update problems?

On 10/18/20 8:18 AM, Andrew Wood wrote:
Hello,

I'm using Fedora 32 workstation. I'm wondering if it is updating properly - especially that some of the mirrors which it uses, aren't pulling the updates. It's a guess at the problem ...
It sounds like you may be using gnome-software which comes installed and enabled by default, if i'm not mistaken. I don't like gnome-software, so i uninstall it, and set up dnf-automatic instead. Either way, you should be able to check /var/log/dnf.rpm.log to see what's been getting installed/updated, assuming gnome-software is using dnf. To check the kernel version manually, you can run "uname -a" in the terminal from time to time.

I thought I'd check the version of F32 and so I checked the version Settings->About on the Gnome Desktop. However, it says Fedora 32 (Workstation Edition) but little about which version ... (why is this information not included, I don't know) ...
the version of fedora is 32. If you mean the kernel you can see my above response.

I notice there are occasional updates for Shotwell or Gimp on my machine but not for the kernel, etc which seems ... odd ...
rhetorical: where are those coming from? are they rpms from the fedora repos? flatpacks form flathub.org? You may have to investigate a little if you want to understand what is going on. If you use a gui like gnome-software to manage your software, the downside to that is that some details may be slightly hidden from you, or defaults chosen for you: like where the software is coming from, for instance.

Part of the reason I'd like to update the software is that some of it is horrendously unresponsive especially when using dialogues which involve choosing files - the default text editor and document viewer (PDF) are two applications which come to mind. I actually find it difficult to believe that these apps met the QA requirements before being shipped ... notwithstanding the usual rider for no liability for fitness of use, etc ...
i have no problems with Gedit or Evince/Documents (or whatever it's called now). There may be something specific to your situation that is causing the issues you are seeing.