Re: OT: Maildir vs. mh folders?

Thanks!

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 11:37:27 +1100 Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Yes. I just wrote a for loop on the command line. Something like:
> >>
> >>     cd ~/mail
> >>     for mhdir in [a-z]*; do (set -x; mh2maildir "$mhdir") || break; done
> >
> >So, in this code, there is a command called ismhdir -- where does this come from? Is there something missing here? (I think it also shows up in your newer code.)
>
> Oh, there's probably a few of my scripts in that one. They're all
> available from the same URL (go up to the bin/ URL). Or I can ship you a
> tarball or you can clone the repo, whatever you find easy.

No, thanks, I got it. Wow, you have a lot of scripts: some more may be useful.

So, I tried your code:

 cd ~/mail
 for mhdir in [a-z]*; do (set -x; mh2maildir "$mhdir") || break; done

But it only did the first folder and quit: I was thinking that it would go through the whole list of folders and sub-folders.

I did get the following warning:

procmail: Couldn't chdir to ""

However, it appended the hostname. I looked at the script, but I could not figure out where this comes in from: is it the default in the procmail? Perhaps I should try the newer version, but am  a little confused with how to make it convert the mh to mhdir?

Do I simply set  set mbox_type=maildir in my .muttrc?

> >> So provided you _make_ an empty Maildir (mkdir $d $d/tmp $d/new $d/cur)
> >> mutt will deliver into it correctly - no special modes. You only need to
> >> instruct mutt when _it_ creates the mail folder, by setting:
> >>
> >>     set mbox_type=maildir
> >>
> >> as your preference for new folders.
> >
> >My apologies, so my plan is to first get the change from MH to Maildir done and then start fetchmail/procmail to add to those folders after running it through sylfilter (which I package for Fedora) and then fire mutt up after that for reading/responding, etc. Of course, I am not sure if it is worthwhile to use sylfilter anymore given that it was integrated with sylpheed in the training but perhaps I can still keep that. (I will deal with that later.)
>
> You don't need to "switch to mutt" yet. You can still use it as a
> conversion tool :-) Keep the previous MH folder there until you're happy
> the Maildir is a faithful reproduction.
>
> >Yes, I can switch to getmail but I honestly don't know how much a learning curve that would be. Or are you recommending that I use getmail and then mutt on that (instead of procmail)?
>
> No obligation to switch to getmail, I was just describing the tools I
> use for content.
>
> >I see. I do have a lot of conditions set by procmail so would like to try to keep that if possible. Perhaps I will stick to procmail. But does procmail handle Maildir according to any recipe that has to be set: for instance, I clearly do not want the hostname in the filenames.
>
> Stick with procmail until unhappy with it. It will deliver to Maildirs,
> you change the form of the folder name. A trailing slash or something to
> indicate the format. [...digs around...] I think "folder" for mbox, "folder/"
> for Maildir, "folder/." for MH.

Yes, that is correct.

Thanks very much again!
Ranjan