Re: OT: Maildir vs. mh folders?

On 14Oct2020 18:45, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I have been mulling a move from sylpheed to neomutt

Try regular mutt. A lot of development has happened in the last year or
so, and neomutt may no longer have many features not now available in
the mainline.

Also, join the mutt-users mailing list:

    http://www.mutt.org/mail-lists.html

>(because it is not clear to me that sylpheed's development is happening all that much which is a worrisome sign for its future) and so am also deciding on whether to keep the mh folder structure or move to Maildir. I do have a lot of subfolders so it is a bit of a pain to convert everything, but I think that I can probably write a script for doing so.

Plenty of us have scripts for this kind of thing, and you can even batch
invoke moutt for such a conversion (with some scripting around it).

>But I wanted to ask if it is worth it to make this change. Now, I know that sylpheed's mh structure is not exactly the same because it puts in some marks and sequences in each directory and does not touch the traditional .mh_sequences touch, but I do not see if that will matter much in terms of the conversion.

Mutt will read mbox, Maildir and MH. So you don't need to make both
changes at once.

>Anyway, thoughts? I simply want to know if it is worth making the change which will require some scripting (and some inevitable disruption).

I moved to Maildir from MH folders many years ago. Maildir at least has
good concurrency support (race free message insertion).

My current setup is Maildir for folders I'm active in (primary inbox,
folders for things I use a lot - python, mutt, so forth). I use mbox for
infrequently accessed folders and archive folders, as it is more compact
in terms of disc usage.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>