Re: WD Mycloud -

On 2020-09-28 22:01, Tim via users wrote:
If you're at the end of your tether, you can disassemble the cloud
device, and plug the hard drive into a spare SATA port on your
computer, or use one of those SATA to USB adaptors, and just mount the
drive.  I've done that with a cloud that bricked itself, plugged it
into my Linux box, and double-clicked the icon that appeared on the
desktop for the large partition, and the system mounted it for me.
.
Yes that sounds like the best option in this case. I am encouraged to know that you actually did the same thing I have been considering. /I've already wasted too much time looking at this problem whenever I had the  inclination to give it another try. I just want to get the filed off this thing and will consider it an error in my judgement. I bought an overpriced 4TB hard drive that I will use elsewhere and happily toss the WD My Cloud housing in the trash.

The Apple iPhone does not keep the original file in memory long enough to extract it to the Mycloud. I assume that is done to save memory in the mobile device, it sends the original image to their iCloud server and leaves smaller thumbnails in memory. Saving them to the Mycloud requires they be downloaded from their server, I realized this after letting the system run for a few days and watched the data usage numbers on my Viasat internet climb way above my months allowance.

I also thank Mark Allman for the information he provided but immediately got bogged down since access via ssh is disabled in it by default and it require a Mac device to enable that which I can't deal with presently, Too many obstacles.

Thank you Tim.

/

-- .
 Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
FEDORA-32/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3