Re: Is this better ?

On Wed, 2020-09-23 at 11:01 -0500, David wrote:
> https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/?p=9285
>
> I have never ever used Wordpress.    I do not yet know if I followed
> all the Fedora procedures to do that.
>
> My first impression is that that entire procedure is going to scare
> off 100% of the enthusiastic Linux users that want to share ideas
> about Fedora.

I don't use Wordpress, either.  The complexity of it, and the security
problems that virtually all blogging software have, means I consider it
to be more trouble than it's worth.  I have a traditional website,
which is far less at risk of exploitation because I don't add all that
software (and I can see all the failing hack attempts in the logs).  I
just write the HTML by hand (which is far more flexible than fill-in-
the-blanks on forms blogging software).  But many people don't want to
do it that way.

This sort of conversation is sort-of on/off topic.  It's going off on a
related tangent, you're making use of the Fedora project's community
blogging thing, Wordpress can be run on your own computer (doing that
gives you a sandbox to play in where the world can't see what you're
trying), etc.

> My concern with that blog thing, is that I am wanting to share my
> experience today with Fedora users and other enthusiast of Linux,
> that today for the very first time, I used Firejail and I using it
> now to use the appimage of yesterday's nightly build of Fedora 81.0,
> and I am doing it in Rawhide, and that all the effort create a blog,
> and someone might skim over it a month from now and not find any
> relevance to it.

And going out-of-date is a continual issue with everything on the
internet, don't worry about that.

The idea of using a blog where "today I finally figured out how to get
X to work, and here's how" is a good way of doing it.  People can find
such blogs when they search for the same "how to make X do Y."  And I
think you'll find most people probably do solve their "printer prints
blank pages," and other problems, than by doing a Google search than
joining any kind of forum.

Years ago, I published my notes on getting my DHCP and DNS servers
talking to each other.  I occasionally referred back to it to remind
myself of things, and can use it to help work out how do the newer way
of doing the same thing with the newer software.  Other people do the
same things.

> The other problem with blogging, is you have to be more careful with
> grammar and you can't misspeak about things.    You can't tell people
> to go check out "Ferdora" in a blog.   LOL !

Good blogging software will let you edit a post.  Once you've written
an email to a list, it's there as-it-is forever.  I'd expect them to
include spell-checking, too (but with technical posts, you can expect
to be either ignoring or adding lots of words it doesn't know about).
Though some web browsers can do that (spell-check) for you, anyway, as
you type into you blogger's interface.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1127.19.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 25 17:23:54 UTC 2020 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.