Re: Where are the microcode updates for Crosstalk in F32 ?

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 17:04, Sreyan Chakravarty <sreyan32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/30/20 9:56 PM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 09:25:01PM +0530, Sreyan Chakravarty wrote:
>> Would be great if I could be absolutely certain about this.
>>
>> For now, saying that it works without verification, is just like wishful
>> thinking for me.
> Take a look at /proc/cpuinfo
>
> Your CPU code will be the:
> 'cpu family'-'model'-'stepping'
>
> So, for example, on my computer, that is:
> 6  - 58  - 9
>
> Now, Intel uses the hex for that, so lets get it easily:
>
> $ printf '%02x-%02x-%02x\n' 6 58 9
> 06-3a-09
>
> So, lets look at the github page for the intel microcode releases:
>
> https://github.com/intel/Intel-Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-Files/releases
>
> I don't see my CPU ID mentioned there, so the latest microcode doesn't
> seem to have been updated for my CPU.  Either the CPU isn't vulnerable
> or they didn't address it.
>
> But if I look at another computer:
>
> $ printf '%02x-%02x-%02x\n' 6 94 3
> 06-5e-03
>
> I do see it.  And the microcode_ctl update does appear to be applying
> an update.  Actually, that one is a RHEL system and in its notes, it
> says that it doesn't apply the microcode update because it causes
> hangs.
>
> Hopefully this will help you research your own system.

Thank you. Just one question what happens if I find out that my CPU is
affected but they did not address it ?

Should I open a report on BZ ?

RedHat and other linux distros track Intel's efforts.  Some of the mitigations
require changes to the kernel.  I'm sure many of the discussions around which
mitigations and CPU's get priority are not public, but you can certainly
open an issue at:

https://github.com/intel/Intel-Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-Files/issues

In general, the earlier the mitigations are applied, the harder it is to exploit the bugs, and
some mitigations can only be applied at the BIOS level, so you need to check your BIOS
vendor's updates and forums.

All distributions have access to the same microcode, but may make different decisions
for what should be done in BIOS and when to implement kernel changes to support
new microcode.   Ubuntu Security Page for CVE-2020-0543 is well organized and may
be helpful checking to see if new microcode is available for your CPU.

--
George N. White III