Re: Audacity: "Error opening recording device"

Thanks very much for your help so far.

stan via users kirjoitti 29.6.2020 klo 22.13:
I understand that what you are doing is trying to record from a mic, and
not what is being played by the soundcard.

It's a digital piano rather than a mic, but other than that, yeah.

In audacity, you should just have to select pulse as the source, and
the recording function would work.

This is progress, of a sort: there is no pulse anywhere in Audacity to be selected. I've never once messed with the audio configuration on this install, so I'm not sure why pulse is missing, or rather why Audacity can't see it.

So, the first question is, does alsa recognize the recording device you
want to use?
arecord -lv
Is it there?

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 2: ALC892 Alt Analog [ALC892 Alt Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

"Alt Analog" (device 2) is the one Audacity shows me, rather than just plain old "Analog" (device 0). Either way, this is my sound card so I'm guessing the answer to your question here is "yes."

The next question is, what is the default recording device
in pulse?

The default according to pavucontrol is "Sisäinen äänentoisto Analoginen stereo" which is what pavucontrol calls my sound card, and I've selected the line in option. In fact I can see the little audio meter jumping up and down if I press the keys on my piano.

Alternatively, you can turn off the sound device with your recording
device from pulse so it becomes controlled only by alsa, tell audacity
to use alsa, and select the actual device that you want to record with.

I tried this with pasuspender, and a bunch more recording devices showed up. The ones present before still give the same error, but selecting one of the other ones, which all look something like "sysdefault: Line: 0" or "default: Line: 0" and the like, will actually let me record the line in. Trouble is, of course, that now sound doesn't work in any other application. I also can't monitor the recording device.

--
Terveisin / Regards,
Matti Pulkkinen