Re: User no boot -

On 2020-06-26 19:26, George N. White III wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 at 20:00, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    My Samba server began refusing my effort to access it as bobg or any
thing else I created to test with, it only let me connect as root.

By "connect", do you mean you are logging in from another system using, e.g.,
ssh, from a console, or from a GUI (display manager) login screen?

    Not
    much of a problem since I rarely needed administrative access to
    it and
    the primary users, the iPhone users, still connected without
    difficulty.

    The time has come to face the problem, I was able to give it an
    ipaddress that permits me to deal with the problem, hopefully via
    ssh.
    FC24 is almost three years eol'd an about 8 release behind today, I
    intend to upgrade that with a new Fedora installation in the next few
    days. But I would like to now how to restore the user
    authorization. I
    tried creating users with new passwords but it simply will not
    boot for
    any user.

This isn't clear.  Do you mean users can't reboot while logged on on
a GUI, or that "sudo reboot" from a console or ssh session fails, or
something else?

    How can I fix that?        Bob

Upgrading from Fedora 24 to 32 or 32 can only be done with a
series of upgrades like 24-->26, 26-->28, 28-->30. 30-->31 or 32.
At each step the configuration may need tweaks, and cruft from
old configurations will be accumulating.  You will do better to make
a backup followed by a fresh install of 31 or 32.  If you choose a
fresh install, you can make a backup using a live distro or
clonezilla live without the need to fix the problems. You do want
to make notes of the user and group names and ids, storage layout,
and samba configuration to save having to refer to the backups
while doing the fresh install.   If the system relies on one disk,
this might be a good time to swap it for a new drive, perhaps
solid-state, so you have the option of reverting quickly if you
can't get the new install to work.

--
George N. White III

°
The boot problems are fixed with a new Fedora 32 instillation.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for help.

Presently Samba has been installed and appears to be near working . I followed an instruction found at: https://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=Fedora_32&p=samba&f=1

I copied the configuration file provided there and the server appears on this computer under Networks. It contains no data yet. Before starting this effort I copied the server data files to a second hard drive which was disconnected in hope of keeping it to repopulate the new smb server.

Now I have to find the best way to transfer the data. i think I can probably;y do that but will appreciate any advice.

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD