Re: How do I change the grub kernel boot parameters in F32 ?

On 17/6/20 1:52 am, Tom H wrote:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 Stephen Morris <samorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 16/6/20 9:06 am, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 2020-06-16 07:01, Tom H wrote:
The kernel options are in the BLS entries, so it doesn't matter
what you have in grubenv.

 From the grub2 changelog on may 13th:

Store cmdline in BLS snippets instead of using a grubenv variable

The kernel cmdline was stored as a kernelopts variable in the
grubenv file and the BLS snippets used that. But this turned out to
be fragile since the grubenv file could be removed or get corrupted
easily.

To prevent the entries to not have a cmdline if the grubenv can't
be read, a fallback variable was set in the GRUB config file. But
this still caused issues since the config needs to be re-generated
to change the parameters.

Instead, let's store the cmdline in the BLS snippets. This will
make the configuration more robust, since it will work even without
the grubenv file and the BLS entries will contain all the
information needed to boot.
Thanks for that.

Just to complete my understanding, by the BLS snippets you mean the

/boot/loader/entries/*.conf

files?
If GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=false is not going to be supported anymore, how
does one disable BLS if we don't want it?
You MAY be right in assuming that Fedora might choose only to support BLS.

If that day comes, we'll use BLS. I hope that, by then, we'll have a
way to customize the snippets, for example, not to use the machine-id
UUIDs.
My issue with BLS is the way it displays the kernel menu entries in grub, it is exactly the same as the way grubby showed the entries which I also hated, consequently I refuse to use BLS until such time as they provide an option to get the menus displayed as an entry for the current kernel and an expandable menu for all other kernels and the recovery entries.

regards,
Steve