Re: Microphone trouble

On 2020-06-18 15:07, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 6/17/20 11:40 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 06/11/2020 10:15 PM, Tim via users wrote:
>>> Try recording yourself to a file (e.g. use Audacity).  Does it sound
>>> clear?  If not, check your mike gain isn't wound up excessively high,
>>> wiggle leads and connectors, see if you can find a fault with your mic
>>> that you can make come and go.
>>
>> Sorry for the delay on this.  I've installed Audacity on my laptop and tried to make a recording.  I've got the internal mike set at the default setting, and when I test it in the Settings of Zoom, it looks like it's working, but I can't get any response from Audacity or make it play back what I've just said.  I've followed the tutorials, but absolutely nothing!  Am I supposed to save my test and then play it back?
>
> The interface is a little confusing and the toolbars can be moved around, so I'll assume the default layout that I have is the same as yours.
>
> To the right of the play control buttons, there are two rows.  On the second row, there are microphone and speaker icons.  To the left of the microphone is where you can pick which input to use.  Below the play control icons is a microphone and to the right of that is a meter which says "Click to Start Monitoring".  If you click that, you should see the level of the microphone input.  If you don't see any activity try other input options.
>
> Once you have activity, then you can click the red record button and it should create a new track and start showing the waveform as it's recording.  Stop when you have enough and then you can play it back.

In the original post he mentioned, "If I use the internal speakers and mic, the sound is sometimes OK, sometimes not. However, I'm told that there's so much static from my mic that the host mutes me before I can even say one, single word."

I found that would happen if one has the input level set too high in pavcontrol.  What is shown in audacity doesn't
appear to reflect the settings in audacity.

I have pavcontrol set to 40%~45% and it sounds fine.  Well, except for the fact that the laptop is old and the mic
is "substandard" and not well isolated as it picks up fan vibrations.

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.