Re: Hourly Error Message of Unknown Provenance

On Mon, 08 Jun 2020 16:02:02 -0400 "Garry T. Williams"
<gtwilliams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
On Monday, June 8, 2020 12:41:03 PM EDT R. G. Newbury wrote:
On 2020-06-07 4:46 p.m., From: Samuel Sieb<samuel@xxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On 6/7/20 10:31 AM, R. G.  Newbury wrote:
It was apparently something to do with selinux. I usually disable
selinux as the first or second thing I do to a new install. I
forgot to do that.
That should never be necessary.
Well obviously, it WAS necessary in order to get rid of an
objectionable and annoying message, which was otherwise impossible
to get rid of.
I imagine that he meant that restoring some file context that was
modified incorrectly by the root user would be a better way to solve
the problem, thus disabling was not necessary.

Unfortunately Samuel did not add anything about restoring the file context and I took his response to contain a modicum of 'Karen'. My bad(?)
Obviously I cannot know what the problem really is, but it has been
many years since I even came close to disabling selinux.  It is hard
to belive that a brand new system was created with an invalid file
context.  Those kinds of bugs don't get past updates-testing these
days.  So whatever was going on as the root user is almost certainly
to blame.Well on reflecting, I cannot see anything which I could have done. As
noted, it was a bare metal install (actually the second to the new SSD,as after the first go-around, I realized I needed more room on one of the partitions, so I re-booted with a rescue disk, used gparted to change the partition structure and installed. After the installation re-boot, I upgraded some 527 packages, and re-re-booted into a new kernel. I then started transferring (by rsync) the data for the /home, /misc and /usr/local partitions. Somewhere in there, the error started popping up.

I have, since then, tracked down a certain slowness in the login, to the lack of an xorg.conf file. It is possible that xinit was trying to report that it was having trouble connecting, as I found that message in the Xorg.0.log. But, why would xinit be unauthorized? The mystery continues. I don't think I did anything wrong or bad. Most of my interactions involved long wait periods while processes processed....

Geoff