Re: Hourly Error Message of Unknown Provenance

On Mon, 2020-06-08 at 11:40 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> Many years ago I used to always login as root because it was
> "easier".  But then I realized it was unnecessary, somewhat
> hazardous, and tended to cause weird issues if I wasn't careful or
> even if I was.

When I first explored Linux, I did that a bit.  But SOON discovered it
was RARELY necessary, and it often painted you into a corner.  You
ended up making things root-owned that shouldn't be, then you needed to
be root to do ordinary things, because of that.

People fall into the same trap with SELinux, stupidly disabling it,
then having to keep it that way, because their files are mislabelled,
and they keep trying to do thing that they shouldn't do (e.g. have
webservers read and write outside of safe filepaths).

So much of the computer's configuration is user-oriented, i.e. you
configure things for your logon, not the computer.  Each user is
different.  Generally speaking, the root user didn't configure things
for all users, they configured things for the root user.  So, again,
there was little point in being root.  There's a few things you set up
once, printers, network, time, but then you don't do anything more with
them once you've got them going.

But the one thing that really gets me is:  What the hell are people
doing with their computers that they need to be constantly
administering it?  You should be able to set it up and then just use
it.  I do a "sudo yum update" every few days, and that's usually it.

I used to fix some computers for local schools.  The users were always
messing them up.  But once you de-authorised users from doing things
they shouldn't be able to do, and locked things down with (what's now
default) sensible security settings, all that went away.  Semi-weekly
fixups of crap dropped down to being just semi-annual decluttering of
unneeded old work files filling up drive space.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1127.10.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jun 3 14:28:03 UTC 2020 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.