Re: Media writer/USB Flash -

On 2020-06-07 10:33, George N. White III wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 at 04:00, Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx <mailto:samuel@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    FAT32 is the usual portable filesystem.

FAT32 is the current usual but "future *has been*" portable
filesystem.    FAT32 doesn't allocate partial blocks, so a
direct copy of some linux directory often results in a very
large loss of free space on FAT32.  FAT32 limits you to
files under 4GB, and partitions under 32GB.   You can
create a FAT32 filesystem with smaller allocation units,
but that probably reduces the partition size limit and
many not be supported on some devices.

When moving files between linux and other systems I generally use
archives to preserve ownership and permissions, while avoiding
small file allocation problems.    The way forward is exFAT:

    https://fossbytes.com/linux-5-7-microsofts-exfat-driver-code/

TL;DNR:

    exFAT is a patented Microsoft filesystem that is widely used for
    with removable storage on portable devices.  Microsoft released
    a snapshop of the code under GPL2 in 2019.

    exFAT has total filesystem size and file size limits far beyond what
    most users require, and has been supported on Windows and macOS
    for years.  Support for exFAT was added to the linux 5.4 kernel and
    Samsung (which has exFAT for androids device) has contributed
    improvements that were accepted for 5.7.

Fedora 31 and 32 don't have exFAT in the kernel:

    % grep EXFAT /boot/config-`uname -r`
    # CONFIG_STAGING_EXFAT_FS is not set

For now, there is a FUSE implementation in Fedora:
    % sudo dnf install exfat-utils fuse-exfat

I generally format memory sticks/cards with Windows in
case fuse-exfat does something that other devices don't
handle.  There are many 3rd party implementations;
most are only tested against Windows.

--
George N. White III
°

The stick I had was a new 64 GB and originally showed 64 in my Thunar file manager display, now after doming what I did Thunar dis[lays it  as 62G. I have since now dnf installed exfat-utils as you suggest so it should be usable when next I do that.

I have gained some information from this exercise and my daughter was able to use the flash drive with her Mac computer to install her embroidery program in the sewing machine, showed me the resulting art work ten thousand stitches later. Amazing what it does ...

Thanks to all for the help,   Bob

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD