Re: Multiboot question

On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 11:15:37 -0000
Steven Usdansky via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have two bootable disks, and SSD with F32 (and Win 10), and a HDD
> with F31 and a few other distros. Each disk has its own EFI
> partition. F32 mounts the SSD's EFI partition at /boot/efi; F31
> mounts the HDD's EFI partition at /boot/efi. Both Fedoras have the
> appropriate entries in their respective /boot/loader/entries
> directories, and in both cases, GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG is set to true.
>
> If I update the F31 kernel, then boot off the SSD, I am not offered
> the option of booting F31 with the new kernel unless I regenerate the
> SSD's boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg. What I want is for the SSD's
> bootloader to automatically offer me the option of booting any kernel
> configured in the F31's /boot/loader/entries, rather than offering me
> only the options in its own /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg.
>
> Is this even possible?

>From my understanding, no, it is a restriction of efi.  Your manual
workaround is the only way to get what you want using grub2 as your
bootloader. If you switch to systemd-boot, my understanding is that this
would be possible, but requires significant changes to the boot process.

I considered going to systemd-boot, but decided it was to much work
for no real gain, so will stick with grub2.  I also didn't like how
it seems to put more on the vfat filesystem; I would rather use
native linux filesystems as much as possible.  When I install my second
fedora uefi system, I will also give it its own /boot/efi partition,
like you have. But, when I want to boot the other version, I will use
the boot menu that the efi firmware provides to select the other
/boot/efi I want to use, the one for that version. Another workaround
that will work for me because I will only rarely boot into the older
Fedora.  I keep it around for troubleshooting the current version if
something goes wrong. It is known to work, has all the software I want,
and is familiar, so easier than booting a rescue version.