Re: Restart F32 WiFi on ThinkPad P72

Bringing this back to the list. The message I'm replying to was too large for the list, so he sent it directly to me.

On 5/30/20 6:49 PM, Robert G (Doc) Savage wrote:
The "systemctl -b" output is 4099 lines long, so rummaging around for KILL is a tall order. Allow me to suggest a slightly different approach.

It's actually quite easy. If you run "systemctl -b" just like that, it pipes the output to "less" for you to use. In there, you can press the "/" key and enter the text you want to search for. You can type "1G" to go to the top and "G" to go to the bottom. See the man page for details.

Here's the output of "journalctl -b -u NetworkManager". This gives me the names of the network devices that NetworkManager knows:

That's not really useful. I was trying to get the info from the wifi device being initialized.

When I disconnect the copper Ethernet cable and let NetworkManager try to switch over to the WiFi port (normal operation -- both ports cannot be open at the same time), five more lines are added to the "journalctl

That's not normal. Normally you can have both ethernet and wifi connected at the same time. But for some reason, your laptop has a physical wifi disable when the ethernet cable is plugged in.

In the old days one would expect this will make it possible to use "ifup ATTxxxxxxx" to bring up the WiFi interface. However, when I try this I still get:

# ifup ATTxxxxxxx
Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this connection (device eth0 not available because profile is not compatible with device (mismatching interface name)).

For reference, here's the contents of ifcfg-ATTxxxxxxx:

What does "nmcli c show ATTxxxxxxx" give?

When I left click on the NetworkManager applet in the top MATE toolbar, it tells me:

WiFi Networks

*device not manage**d*

Now I gotta ask, how can a WiFi device wlan0 defined as MODE=managed be considered not managed by NetworkManager??

It's the connection that you saw is managed, not the device. What do "nmcli d" and "nmcli d show wlan0" give?

Incidentally, regarding your questions about Windows operation. The answer appears to be the same as in F32. If I'm running eth0, then wlan0 is disabled and vice versa.

Ok, so that confirms that it really is a hardware switch connected to the ethernet port. I've never seen that before, it's really weird.