Re: Question on difference between dnf upgrade versus clean install?

On 5/28/20 1:43 PM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
On 28 May 2020 at 11:40, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 5/28/20 10:58 AM, Michael D. Setzer II via users wrote:
Did update on my notebook machine as well using dnf
system update. This system has some more packages
installed. Showed 5070 versus about 2000+ for the
clean install. Download process took about 30 minutes,
but then the reboot and upgrade process took just over
14 hours. Total was 14 hours 50 minutes.

Upgrading for some reason does take a lot longer, maybe because it's
being extra safe in how it writes the files?  A lot more scripts to run?

Yes, would expect 2 or 3 times as long, but 15 seems
way to much. It is interesting that each of the updates
for packages both on upgrade and cleaning seems to be
from 1 second to 6 seconds. The process shows 10140
with 1/2 being the installs, and 1/2 being the cleanup
and then 10140 verifies. Seems it is doing something
every single time?

Yes, although the verify steps are usually pretty quick. Then there are also some scripts that run before and after each section.

Not clear why it would take 15 times as long? Checked
while running, and dnf was running at 100%, but just
using 1 cpu. Notebook has dual cpus. Don't know if
others just run it, and check when done, but seems to
be a bigger difference in time than it should be.

How are you able to see CPU usage during the upgrade?  Weren't you doing
the offline upgrade?  The process should be very IO bound, not CPU.
Unless you happened to catch it running a script like the selinux one.
After doing the dnf system-upgrade reboot It comes up
with a graphic screen that just shows it is doing upgrade
and to not shut down. Very little info.
Ctrl-ESC does show it doing the process, and shows
each package and the count as it goes with time of each
step.
Was able to do Ctrl-Alt-F? Think it was F6 that finally
gave a command line login. Was able to login as root,
and just ran top command. Noticed that CPU was
showing 100% other numbers all seemed low. Never
saw CPU change from 100%, and it only showed dnf
process as high activity.

That's something very useful to find out. I didn't think there were any consoles available during the upgrade process. That CPU usage is a problem. I really don't think it should be doing that. I would suggest filing a bug. If you do, please post the link here after. I don't have any systems to upgrade at this point, but I'll check for that happening when I do.

P.S.