Re: F32 upgrade fails (boots into Emergency mode)

Ranjan Maitra writes:

Hi,

I was commenting yesterday afternoon on how painless the upgrade had been so far for me (4 laptops, 1 workstation). Got jinxed on a workstation at work! For me, F31 got upgraded to F32 using the methods oulined in https://fedoramagazine.org/upgrading-fedora-31-to-fedora-32/. All steps went smoothly, until it was time to come up: I was thrown into emergency mode after the upgrade.

As instructed by the emergency mode, here is the output of journalctl and rdsosreport.txt

Note that I have changed the hostname to hostname.suppressed (I don't know what else has the machine's identity even though it behind VPN).

Output of journalctl:

$ fpaste journal.txt
Uploading (115.3KiB)...
https://paste.centos.org/view/b759a587

rdsosreport.txt:

$ fpaste rdsosreport.txt
Uploading (136.7KiB)...
https://paste.centos.org/view/ec37f118

Any suggestions as to what is wrong? The machine is sort of hard to get to simply because it is not online now, and I have to go in to get more information but I will try and provide additional requests for information in as timely a manner as possible.

The apparent problem is this:

May 17 00:59:14 hostname.suppressed systemd[1]: Starting File System Check on /dev/disk/by-uuid/287a95e7-4b5d-420a-94e8-38c0d8161375… May 17 00:59:14 hostname.suppressed systemd-fsck[470]: /dev/sda2 contains a file system with errors, check forced. May 17 00:59:15 hostname.suppressed systemd-fsck[470]: /dev/sda2: Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found. May 17 00:59:15 hostname.suppressed systemd-fsck[470]: /dev/sda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY. May 17 00:59:15 hostname.suppressed systemd-fsck[470]: (i.e., without -a or -p options) May 17 00:59:15 hostname.suppressed systemd-fsck[468]: fsck failed with exit status 4. May 17 00:59:15 hostname.suppressed systemd-fsck[468]: Running request emergency.target/start/replace

Looks like the root filesystem is damaged. The disclaimer is that even after this is fixed, you have very few guarantees as to the stability of the system, since the extent of the damage is clear. If your /bin/bash gets blown away, you have very few options. So, at some point this may become unsalvageable, and it will be faster to reinstall, but you can at least try fixing the filesystem and see what shakes out.

To do that you'll need to boot off a live image. You may or may not be able to do this from a rescue shell, with root mounted read-only. I wouldn't waste my time figuring it out, and just boot off a live image. Before upgrading to F32 I prepared and tested a USB drive with a live image. Always a good idea.

Boot off the live image, open a terminal prompt, sudo to root, then run

fsck /dev/sda2

The more errors it reports, asking for your permission to fix each one, the less likely is your workstation to survive.

That's only the root filesystem, no guarantees that other filesystem are healthy, the boot didn't get this far so you may end up repeating this several times with each partition. Or, just fsck every partition, for a good measure, as long as you booted in the live CD.

Presuming you manage to repair the workstation good enough so that boots, what I would do, immediately after booting, is revalidate the RPM database:

rpm --rebuilddb
rpm -qa | wc -l

If there are no errors when rebuildding the rpm database, and the package count looks reasonable, the next and the final step would be to run a script that runs rpm -V for each installed package, skips over the configuration files that are expected to be modified, and finds any corrupted binary or library, then reinstall the damaged package.